Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robots coming to Lowes — Parallax Forums

Robots coming to Lowes

RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
edited 2014-10-29 13:50 in Robotics
It looks like Lowes is going to test robots in their stores....

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2471130,00.asp

http://online.wsj.com/articles/newest-workers-for-lowes-robots-1414468866

I showed this link to a friend and he wondered how long it may take before teenagers try riding in it around in the store....

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-10-28 11:48
    The previous times I've gone to Lowe's, I've had this as stated in the article:
    ....customers can use to ask for help, in their preferred language, and expect a consistent experience.
    consistently frustrating as I dealt with the clueless warm body.

Perhaps their spokesman should have said:
    ....customers can use to ask for help, in their preferred language, and expect a consistent, POSITIVE experience.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-10-28 17:07
    The Lowe's near me has so many issues that robots won't help. It's right across the street from Home Depot, and every time I go there it's a failure. The parking lot is always nearly empty, since everyone goes straight to Home Depot. Apparently most people have had the same experiences I have. Sometimes when I need a simple light bulb or a sprinkler I'll try Lowe's since it's a common item and there's never a line there. But they are ALWAYS OUT of the one thing I need.

Lowe's doesn't even carry mineral spirits. I asked why and an "associate" said it was banned (maybe just in California) for VOCs. They have some substitute, but not MS. I said "Home Depot has it" and the associate assured me that it must surely be the last of their inventory, never to be replaced after it sells out. "So that's what they can charge $5 a gallon", I thought. Next time I visited Home Depot, I asked. 'Not true, we have another shipment of MS coming in tonight".

I'm done with Lowe's.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-10-29 10:03
    This robot will be programmed with two voice phrases:

1. "Hello, welcome to Lowe's. How may I help you?"
    2. "I'm so sorry. We don't carry that."

Not that Home Depot is really any better. Increasingly their really useful hardware and tools are being carried online only. If I wanted it online, I would have bought it three days ago so I'd have it today, when I need it, and besides it wouldn't have been through Home Depot.
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2014-10-29 11:21
    Lowes and Home Depot are interchangeable for me, and the differences depend on the staff and manager at specific stores. I get better service at some stores than I do at others. One thing I can't figure out is why people bring their dogs to Lowes and Home Depot. It's not a dog park. It's a frick'n hardware store/lumber yard. I wonder how the robots will respond to dogs sniffing around them.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-10-29 13:50
    This robot will be programmed with two voice phrases:

1. "Hello, welcome to Lowe's. How may I help you?"
    2. "I'm so sorry. We don't carry that."

I guess the eventual Home Depot bot will say:

1. "Hello, welcome to Home Depot. How may I help you?"
    2. "Shall I send your credit card info to the bad guys now, or would you prefer to wait for our next security breach? "