Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Eye tracking sensor? — Parallax Forums

Eye tracking sensor?

greentreegreentree Posts: 1
edited 2014-10-25 09:52 in Accessories
Hello, this is my first post here so I hope it works out.

I'm looking for a sensor that allows me to track eye movements, preferably without having to blink so it only follows the movement of the eye, I've read there are different kinds like pupil and retina scanners, I don't know which one would work better for this project. Also it should have an SDK or some other way to communicate with android devices. So any type or model or any recommendation you can give me I'll appreciate it. Thanks.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-10-25 09:12
    Welcome to the forums greentree!

Tracking is a fascinating subject. I have done some simple object tracking experiments, but the laser makes my methodology particularly unsuitable for eye tracking! :)
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-10-25 09:52
    Google for some stuff on Hackaday. Quite a number have been discussed, but the "safest" ones use a small camera and vision recognition (such as OpenCV) to look for the pupil.

Here's one for starters -- supposedly costs under $100

http://hackaday.com/2013/02/12/build-an-eye-tracking-headset-for-90/

Other methods using focused LEDs (and yes, even lasers) use a method of glancing the light across the eyeball in such a way that the light never enters the pupil. These are harder to build because of the precision needed for the optics.