Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS1 issues not found — Parallax Forums

BS1 issues not found

studiomagicstudiomagic Posts: 10
edited 2014-10-20 20:30 in BASIC Stamp
My old wXP crashed and replaced with a different WXP. Connecting with serial cable and older BS1 serial adapter (2003). Using Basic stamp editor ver 2.5.3. Not sure what going on but I can not load program. When I hit the download it flashes scanning.... Then error "No Basic Stamps Found". I don't think I'm reading the BS1 thru the serial port anymore. I have no internet connection on this PC. Internet connection only on my IPad. Please private email me if anyone has a good solid answer. Thank you, Jim .... studiomagic@cableone.net

Comments

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 9,014
    edited 2014-10-20 08:52
    Believe it or not, I program BS1 micros almost every day -- in the form of the Prop-1 Controller from EFX-TEK (myself and another former Parallax employee). One of the things that we had to do with so many unit sold was to create a new programming device for the BS1. It's here:

-- http://www.efx-tek.com/topics/prop-1_usb.html

The circuit is based on an older USB-to-Seral device from Parallax that had the correct pin out for programming the BS1. I don't know if the new version (http://www.parallax.com/product/28024) does. By using either of these you avoid the stack-up of devices which can lead to problems.

PS: Make sure you didn't plug your adapter in upside-down -- that's a common tech support issue at EFX-TEK.
  • studiomagicstudiomagic Posts: 10
    edited 2014-10-20 09:23
    From looking at this devise, I would also need a USB to USB cable? The USB connection on the end of the devise you suggested is the same connection at the PC. I also have an older printer port cable that connects to the PC and at the other end to the BS1. I tried that older cable and got the same error. I'm going to the local Radio Shack to see if they have anything newer, so I can just used my laptop. USB connections only on my Laptop.
    edited 2014-10-20 09:27
    Here's how it's plugged in.
    960 x 720 - 260K
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-10-20 09:50
    You can't use the parallel port to program a BS1 with version 2.5.3. It is looking for a serial port. I would use Jon's suggestion of his product or add a USB to Serial device to the BS1 serial programmer connector that you already have.

The stuff off ebay only works 25% of the time.
    edited 2014-10-20 10:54
    If you have a USB port on your PC, you'll need a USB to Mini-B cable; you probably have more than one of them already (it's the most common).
    edited 2014-10-20 11:18
    Thanks JohnnyMac! I'm looking for this diagram. On the BS1 I have in the past drive 5v reed Relays off the IO pins using (High / pause / low. Never had a mod burn up. I thinkScott Edwards wrote diagram. I need to rebuild the circuit once again and use the IO pins the same way. It's been years since I've worked with any of the BS1 or BS2 on projects.
    960 x 720 - 197K
    edited 2014-10-20 20:30
    One should NEVER drive and inductive device from an IO pin. The ULN2803A is as easy to use as that diagram indicates.

FWIW, the EFX-TEK Prop-1 controller is an industrialized BASIC Stamp 1: it has a beefy 5V regulator, pin headers for the TTL pins, and a ULN2803A for high-current outputs.

BTW... it's not good form to change the topic of a thread once it's started. If you have questions about connecting the ULN2803A, you should start another thread. That way others searching for similar solutions can find that thread.