Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is it possible to Multiplex PING sensor inputs? — Parallax Forums

Is it possible to Multiplex PING sensor inputs?

ChrisL8ChrisL8 Posts: 129
edited 2014-10-16 14:38 in Accessories
I want to add more PING sensors to my Arlo, but I'm out of I/O pins.
It seems a bit of a waste that no two of the I/O pins are used at the same time (because they would interfere with each other, so they run in series).
Has anyone come up with a reliable, and not too complicated, way to multiplex multiple PING sensors onto a single Propeller pin?

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-10-16 11:32
    One of these will let you multiplex 8 Ping)))s using four Prop pins:

-Phil
  • ChrisL8ChrisL8 Posts: 129
    edited 2014-10-16 13:30
    I guess I could just get a QuickStart board and use two pins for serial comm between it and my existing board and then have access to like 30 more pins, right?
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-10-16 14:38
    Expanders, muxes, and similar chips will all work, but you hit the nail on the head with the idea of a co-processor. You have the space for it on an Arlo, and if you can afford it, the $20-30 for the separate board allows you to completely free up your main processor and its I/O. The QuickStart can manage all the Pings (plus other sensors), and send back results, not just raw signals. I don't have an Arlo, but I have an earlier generation MadeUSA, and the first thing I created for it was a co-processor for all the sensors, LEDs, sound, and other support features.