Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
need parts...epic wreck! — Parallax Forums

need parts...epic wreck!

grayfoxgrayfox Posts: 39
edited 2015-07-01 22:42 in Robotics
Well....i finally did it...i hit the house lol....snapped the one shaft clean in half, bent a motor shaft, and trashed all my props lol....So, the real question is, did i learn anything....YES! install LED's on the bottom to help with orientation!
SoOoo...does anyone know where to get the shafts that connect the motors to the base of the elev-8? I just checked the parallax site and didnt see them....
20141014_170530.jpg

Also, this gives me even more motivation to figure out a really nice parachute setup....

thanks for any heads up....super ****ed at the moment lol!
1024 x 576 - 74K

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-10-14 15:27
    You can probably purchase the parts from Parallax by calling their phone line. I did this for some other parts once. Apparently not everything they sell is listed on the website.

BTW, The sales people were really helpful when I spoke with them.

I added some WS2801 LEDs to my hexacopter. I still haven't had the nerve to fly it at night yet.

Sorry to hear about your crash. I frequently recommend people get a flight simulator. I think they end up saving more money than they cost.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2014-10-14 15:28
    If it's the same tubing that the original design used then you can buy it from McMaster. This post has the BOM:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/136370-ELEV-8-Quadcopter-ordering-design-files-assembly-and-flight!?p=1056511&viewfull=1#post1056511
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-10-14 16:03
    Yes, we should be putting these parts up for sale on our web site.

If you send me a list of what you need I'll send them out to you so we can get you in the air. Use kgracey@parallax.com and include your shipping address.

In the meantime, we'll work towards getting these parts listed on our web site.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-07-01 22:43
    grayfox wrote: »
    Well....i finally did it...i hit the house lol....snapped the one shaft clean in half, bent a motor shaft, and trashed all my props lol....So, the real question is, did i learn anything....YES! install LED's on the bottom to help with orientation!
    SoOoo...does anyone know where to get the shafts that connect the motors to the base of the elev-8? I just checked the parallax site and didnt see them....
    20141014_170530.jpg

Also, this gives me even more motivation to figure out a really nice parachute setup....

thanks for any heads up....super ****** at the moment lol!

BTW grayfox, ask for booms, not shaft. Shaft are usually associated with the motors.

Must have been a hard hit.
  • grayfoxgrayfox Posts: 39
    edited 2014-10-14 16:48
    duane, thanks for that info! I am going to do that for sure! I have been looking all night for ideas on mounting bright led's on the bottom but wasnt sure which way i wanted to go! Your way sounds so much better, and more nerdy lol. The kids in the physics class were suggesting i do that just yesterday with multi changing lights and patterns.
    I do have a flight simulator....i thought it was angled a different way until it was too late.

Publison...it was a very hard hit lol....im actually surprised i only damaged what i did.

Ken, thanks, ill shoot you an email soon with pics of what i broke just incase my lingo isnt right.

on another note, anyone have any good servo recomendations that are good, cheap and hold up well?
  • trangertranger Posts: 179
    edited 2015-07-01 22:43
    20141014_170530.jpg

thanks for any heads up....super ****** at the moment lol!

Yeah, you wrecked it pretty good. :innocent:

IF you need a motor shaft (3.15mm diameter) they are are available online, at least for the V1 Elev-8 (can't remember where off-hand). They are MUCH less expensive than a motor. However, you have to check the bearings to make sure they aren't dinked also.

Do you think a parachute would have saved you here? I mean, did you have enough altitude that it would have been effective? If so, then couldn't it have been saved with the sticks? :blank: (Just askin'.....)

-Russ
    edited 2014-10-14 17:56
    Russ.....no but I think it would have slowed me down a bit to not cause as much damage.
    edited 2014-10-14 18:53
    Good luck with the repair. I just ordered a micro-quad, primarily to keep "practicing" when the weather is bad... I like the simulator, but think the micro will be more fun.

-Russ
    edited 2014-10-14 19:08
    What microquad?
    edited 2014-10-15 03:59
    What microquad?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZC6C8E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should have it on Thursday.

There's a good video review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AafuEIi8O8w

One other thing, you may want to get a camera before mounting the parachute. That way you'll have video evidence of your exploits. :lol:

-Russ
    edited 2014-10-15 05:51
    I'm assuming that's a bnf model and doesn't come with remote....which appeals to me if it is. I would want to use my same remote....let me know how you like it. just might get one myself to screw around wit .
  • dmagnusdmagnus Posts: 271
    edited 2014-10-15 06:23
    that little Hubsan is a lot of fun - it's not bnf, has its own remote. If you can fly it well in "expert" mode, you can easily fly the ELEV8 when you get it back together. I even tried flips, but i'm not doing it right yet. the thing is almost indestructible and you can fly it in the house if you're careful. Lots of entertainment for $40
    edited 2014-10-22 18:00
    I'm assuming that's a bnf model and doesn't come with remote....which appeals to me if it is. I would want to use my same remote....let me know how you like it. just might get one myself to screw around wit .

I've had the Hubsan for almost a week now - it is fantastic! There are a number of good reviews out there on the web. I'll just say that it is a good quality aircraft with a decent quality radio with some nice features (normal and expert, trims, built-in flips, etc...) and it flies very well. It has both an accelerometer and a gyro and you can definitely tell the accelerometer is there - it reorients itself when the sticks to neutral.

It took me about 2 days to wipe out the original props. Fortunately it comes with a set of spares. Since it's a "keeper" I've ordered a crash kit that has props, motors and a body. It is pretty durable, especially if flying outside on the grass. Crashes into harder things can bend or break the props. Bumping walls and TV's and such usually just tweaks the end of the prop - it can usually be massaged back to something close to normal.

This thing is addictively fun and is a great trainer. It may just put my flight simulator out of business. ;-) I take a lot more chances and make much more risky maneuvers, because I know it will just bounce off of the ground or the branches, dust itself off and fly again. And, after all, it's only $40 at risk.

Of course it is a different animal than the Elev-8. It's almost like comparing a Cessna to a 747... Even though they are so much different, the basic piloting skills are applicable to both. My hope is to have fun with the Hubsan and use it to improve my Elev-8 flying.

-Russ