Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
3D Printing — Parallax Forums

3D Printing

plau45plau45 Posts: 109
edited 2014-10-15 08:01 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I am wondering if there is an open source 3D printer out there. And if there is what would the programming look like.

Comments

• ValeTValeT Posts: 308
    edited 2014-10-15 04:06
    I don't know if you can change the code, but the RepRap brand is community supported so they may have development opportunities available.

The link to the website is below.

http://www.reprap.org

Best of luck!
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2014-10-15 05:13
    There are tons. As stated, most are or originated from the reprap community.
    I scratch built a Prusa, it took about a month to order parts and about two weeks to execute the build, 20 minutes each evening and weekends. Cost was about $600 instead of $400, because I bought incorrect parts, being my first build. My notes are here:
    http://reprap.org/wiki/PrusaBuildNotesBraino

I am in the process of building a Mendel90. This should be more rigid and have a large build volume.

I long time ago we had a thread on prop based control for these printers. A couple folks have posted code. It turns out a single core arduino or whatever they use on standard reprap is plenty sufficient to control the repraps, so I did not go the extra step and put a prop on mine. Since I already had the stock unit for testing, I just left the control stock after was working.

Back to the reprap, the code is all open source. You mod the code to suit any details on you build. You don't even need to know much about programming. For example the Marlin firmware is written in C. you just have to change some numbers in variable assignments (the instructions tell you what to do) and press some buttons.

The application control code on the PC needs no modification (so far) but much of this is open source also. Skeinforge is in python or perl or something, you just load some stuff and it goes.
  • ValeTValeT Posts: 308
    edited 2014-10-15 06:05
    prof_braino,

I am hoping to build a 3-D printer as well. When you are finished building the Mendel90, could you send my your notes? I am very new to 3-D printers, and would appreciate the notes as a guide.
  • plau45plau45 Posts: 109
    edited 2014-10-15 08:01
    Thanks guys. If you have any links that I could have that would point me to the code for the 3d printers that would be great. I am also new to the 3d printers and I would love to go and build one with a quite large build volume. I am not sure if the build volume is affected by the size of the printer or the coding or even both. I would love to see your notes on the mendel90 as well. Thanks.