Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Which XBee module to use for a button to turn on an led. — Parallax Forums

Which XBee module to use for a button to turn on an led.

edited 2014-10-14 09:42 in Accessories
Hello,

For the application of having a communication system in a closed space where sound isn't an option, I'd like to use different colored leds as indicators of various actions.

I'm new to the RF world, but would like to know what the best XBee module(s) would be to use to turn on an led(s) from a distance with the press of a button(s). Just need a one way comm .. preferably with a signal strength indicator on the TX end
I'm thinking a small form factor where everything is enclosed on the transmitter end, like a keyfob.... and the RX end to have 4 leds.
Would this be doable with a Teensy as the microcontroller?

What can you recommend for the XBee ? For the range, I would like it to be a minimum of say 400 ft, in a noisy football field. Mainly LOS.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-10-14 08:58
    Hello,

For the application of having a communication system in a closed space where sound isn't an option, I'd like to use different colored leds as indicators of various actions.

I'm new to the RF world, but would like to know what the best XBee module(s) would be to use to turn on an led(s) from a distance with the press of a button(s). Just need a one way comm .. preferably with a signal strength indicator on the TX end

XBees are transceivers which can both transmit and receive. There are one way devices like this one (probably my top recommendation for this project) but the TX end can't know the signal strength on the RX end without two way communication.
    I'm thinking a small form factor where everything is enclosed on the transmitter end, like a keyfob.... and the RX end to have 4 leds.

Have you seen how big XBees are? IMO, they're a bit too large to use in a key fob. The device I linked to above is fob sized.

SparkFun used to sell these Nordic fobs. I really liked them myself. You might be able to make your own fob with a Nordic module. I have information about these modules at the bottom of post #1 of my index (see my signature below).
    Would this be doable with a Teensy as the microcontroller?

Probably. The Teensy has a microcontroller similar (sort of) to the one used by SparkFun in the Nordic fob.
    What can you recommend for the XBee ? For the range, I would like it to be a minimum of say 400 ft, in a noisy football field. Mainly LOS.

Thanks in advance.

The only way to know for sure if something will work someplace is to test it. If there's a lot of other RF equipment being used at the football field (and there probably will be) these devices might not work as well.

Make sure and test whatever you use while the field is in use. Don't count on the equipment behaving the same in an empty field as in a field full of people and their electronic gadgets.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2014-10-14 09:42
    One nice things about XBees is that they have a capability for "line-passing", which does not require any additional microcontroller. Pressing a button on one XBee can activate a corresponding line on a remote XBee. You would just need the power supply and your user interface and a carrier board. One pin can be set aside to indicate the signal level of received packets via PWM. I'm talking only about series 1 XBees. They come in a regular 1mW version, and also a "pro" 60mW version that has a longer range.

Duane's point about electrical noise at a football field is well taken. I've read articles about the electrical chaos that exists in that kind of venue where everyone is trying to call everyone else on their phone, and some fields are now offering wifi.