Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Robot for BBQ smoker — Parallax Forums

Robot for BBQ smoker

landonmay13landonmay13 Posts: 10
edited 2014-10-26 09:41 in Robotics
I am trying to make a robot that covers and uncovers a vent the size of a half dollar on a BBQ smoker at a push of a button. My plan is to have something that sends wireless signals to whatever is needed, and that is connected to a servo which has the command to cover and uncover the air vent. I need a servo and an motherboard though, and I am wondering if I can use parts of my old activitybot kit, or if I need to buy new parts and make my own robot.

Thanks!

-landonmay13

Comments

• xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2014-10-12 12:00
    Old activity bot!? Jeez I haven't even seen one in person yet.

Make your vent so it can swing open and closed. Then run some kind of linkage somewhere away from heat. If the linkage moves easy enough a standard servo should work fine.

Something like this would be neat too - http://www.tlxtech.com/solenoids/high-temperature-solenoids/
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-10-12 16:28
    Now, there would be some people who'd say that the reason we have BBQs is to stand beside them and get an eyeful of smoke. Otherwise what's the point?!

Success here will depend on if area around the dampers (that's what they're called) gets very hot. If so, you'll need to get fancy with some mechanics to place everything away from the heat. Such a mechanism is commonly found in hobby stores catering to the RC biz, so there's plenty to choose from.

You need: two radio transceivers such as Xbee, at least one microcontroller and possibly two, the servo, and assorted mechanics. Pretty expensive. You might instead look around at a thrift store or garage sale for someone selling an old and cheap radio controlled transmitter and receiver. It'll have everything you need except the servo and mechanical linkage, and maybe even that if the seller is getting rid of his old junk. All this is manually (but remotely) operated, but you didn't mention needing a sensor to determine when to open or close the damper(s).
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-10-13 19:23
    you'll need to get fancy with some mechanics to place everything away from the heat
    Since Asbestos is no longer an option, what about hacking an Ov Glove (As Seen On TV). ????
  • landonmay13landonmay13 Posts: 10
    edited 2014-10-19 14:04
    You need: two radio transceivers such as Xbee, at least one microcontroller and possibly two, the servo, and assorted mechanics. Pretty expensive. You might instead look around at a thrift store or garage sale for someone selling an old and cheap radio controlled transmitter and receiver. It'll have everything you need except the servo and mechanical linkage, and maybe even that if the seller is getting rid of his old junk. All this is manually (but remotely) operated, but you didn't mention needing a sensor to determine when to open or close the damper(s).

Will this radio transmitter/reciever do?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/NuTone-Hand-Held-Remote-Control-Transmitter-and-Receiver-RCK01/202851042?cm_mmc=Shopping|Base&gclid=CjwKEAjwwo2iBRCurdSQy9y8xWcSJABrrLiSk2TbIZ_7RKtDsSG7Cbwcu0FtQexmJ2X6_sjNCyo9mhoCp1jw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If that does does not work, will these transceivers and microcontrollers go together?

Microcontroller: http://www.robotshop.com/en/arduino-uno-usb-microcontroller-rev-3.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwwo2iBRCurdSQy9y8xWcSJABrrLiSHgmfp97ZbF87jTFGKsp_fYf7tAThlVtHBAui0BpirBoCNXTw_wcB

Transciever: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11215

Lastly, I have a servo left over from my Activitybot, will that be ok to use?
    edited 2014-10-26 09:01
    I still need help on this. Can someone confirm these are good parts before I spend money on them?
    edited 2014-10-26 09:41
    Nevermind. I talked with my stepdad and he read Gordon's post. It spurred the idea to simply take apart one of our cheap remote-control cars and use it. This way the transmitter, receiver, mobo, and servo are all preprogrammed. Thanks for the feedback!