Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Getting the jist of Simple IDE and Stamp — Parallax Forums

Getting the jist of Simple IDE and Stamp

dreynolds9413dreynolds9413 Posts: 1
edited 2014-10-07 13:42 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I've been in an introductory class for about half a semester now and my teacher has finally asked if anyone has every programmed. Well I haven't and neither has most of the class.

Regardless, the case here is we are using the Activitybot, using Simple IDE, to program it to move around. We are now getting into the QTI sensor portion where we will use them to navigate on black strip (adding four sensors to the front). The problem I currently am facing is that the teaching method he portrays is tough for me to comprehend. We talk about the bot here and there to see if everything is fine and it is. However, when we got the QTI sensors, the booklet that came with it was for the Boe-bot (explaining how to use three of the four we need to use). The code it explained was rough to understand and was hoping to get some help from the fellow members here.

Our teacher gave us a general code to try and run by but it is in Basic instead of Simple. He used coding "case 0110" for example in basic for the sensors.

Besides rambling here is my questions:
What is the general method of using QTI sensors in Simple IDE (or if a tutorial is avaliable that I have overlooked)?
If I took the code from the Basic, would it automatically convert in Simple?
Does it matter if i don't follow the breadboard given in the tutorial exactly and create my own version by using the given as template? (the guide I am currently trying to use is " http://www.parallax.com/downloads/qti-line-follower-appkit-product-guide "

Comments

• dgatelydgately Posts: 1,629
    edited 2014-10-07 13:01
    What is the general method of using QTI sensors in Simple IDE (or if a tutorial is avaliable that I have overlooked)?

Well, the QTI Sensor KickStart is here: http://learn.parallax.com/KickStart/555-27401

That will get you started with the QTI Sensor in the Spin language, which can be built in SimpleIDE (Simple IDE, as in: "Simple Integrated Development Environment", which can build Spin, Spin-PASM, C & C++ projects). Of course, the example code deals with a single QTI Sensor. You'll need to expand that code to monitor 4 QTI sensors.

There's still a lot that you'll need to accomplish, but basically, use the above Spin example and compare it to the StampBASIC example from the QTI Line Follower Guide: http://www.parallax.com/sites/default/files/downloads/28108-QTI-Line-Follower-Guide-v2.0.pdf. You'll need to write a Spin function similar to the Stamp BASIC "Check_Qtis" subroutine.

Folks on the forum should be able to help with your further questions, as you start to write the code...

dgately
  • Courtney JacobsCourtney Jacobs Posts: 903
    edited 2014-10-07 13:42
    dreynolds9413,

This topic was covered in a thread from earlier this year. We haven't yet posted a tutorial on Learn for using the ActivityBot with QTIs (this is coming soon), but Andy Lindsay's response in the link below should get you going in the right direction.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/155395-ActivityBot-Bug?p=1263008

Additionally, you should follow the breadboard setup as closely as possible while still learning, and save experimentation for after you have gotten a good handle on the basics of using your ActivityBot and programming in C. This is to assist you when troubleshooting; if you can account for proper set-up and wiring, it will considerably narrow the list of possible culprits causing your issues. Keep in mind that GND on the Activity Board is the same as Vss on the Board of Education, but GND is along the bottom of the breadboard on the Activity Board and Vss is along the top of the Board of Education. Watch for small but meaningful differences like these as you build your circuit.

Good luck!