Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is the Wild Thumper being discontinued? — Parallax Forums

Is the Wild Thumper being discontinued?

George SuttonGeorge Sutton Posts: 180
edited 2014-10-06 08:30 in Robotics
I see that the Wild Thumper is shown as "Product not available" (http://www.parallax.com/product/28192). Does this mean it will be discontinued?

Comments

• doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2014-10-02 17:48
    I suspect it is waiting on the new Project Board.
  • George SuttonGeorge Sutton Posts: 180
    edited 2014-10-02 17:50
    doggiedoc wrote: »
    I suspect it is waiting on the new Project Board.

I hope so. I had forgotten about the new Project Board. That sure makes me feel better, Doc!
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-10-03 08:47
    The Wild Thumper platform can still be bought through Sparkfun, but does or include to HB-25's or Project Board.
  • Jen J.Jen J. Posts: 649
    edited 2014-10-03 12:58
    The Wild Thumper has indeed been discontinued on www.parallax.com.
    edited 2014-10-03 17:35
    I just KNEW this was going to happen before I could obtain one. Been planning for over one year to get one and every time I was ready to try and get one, either I had money troubles or something big-time got in the way. Dang it Dang it.. Things change though. I was told by Parallax late last year that this was going to be a permanent product, even though it always showed to be a Pilot Product on the webpage. I knew it would happen. My own fault for not having one by now.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2014-10-03 20:29
    You can still get the Wild Thumper chassis from Pololu for $250. Then, get the HB-25s from Parallax. The Wild Thumper robotic kit user manual on Parallax's page shows the extra hardware needed to mount everything. Parallax may give you drawings of the mounting plate so you can make your own. As for the control board, you still have several Propeller based options. Will cost a bit more once you add it all up compared to Parallax's full kit for $350, but you can still make an equivalent platform.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-10-04 10:38
    Personally I think Parallax is at its best when they offer original and exclusive hardware, like Boe-Bot and ELEV-8. I like the Wild Thumper (don't have one) because I'm friends with its developer, so I was happy to see Parallax stocking it. But I think going with their own custom designs, even if actually made by someone else in some Chinese factory, is really the way to go about it.

I have no idea why the product was discontinued, but as other have mentioned, it's still available from maybe a half dozen other online stores. Parallax's price was pretty good, though; you basically got the Propeller board for free.
    edited 2014-10-04 10:42
    Publison wrote: »
    The Wild Thumper platform can still be bought through Sparkfun, but does or include to HB-25's or Project Board.

Thanks for the link. It seems like a good place for lots of useful products.
    edited 2014-10-04 10:43
    You can still get the Wild Thumper chassis from Pololu for $250. Then, get the HB-25s from Parallax. The Wild Thumper robotic kit user manual on Parallax's page shows the extra hardware needed to mount everything. Parallax may give you drawings of the mounting plate so you can make your own. As for the control board, you still have several Propeller based options. Will cost a bit more once you add it all up compared to Parallax's full kit for $350, but you can still make an equivalent platform.

Good idea with Pololu. I like lots of what they have to offer. I could use a Propeller Activity Board on the chassis and have a good rover out of it.
    edited 2014-10-04 10:49
    Personally I think Parallax is at its best when they offer original and exclusive hardware, like Boe-Bot and ELEV-8. I like the Wild Thumper (don't have one) because I'm friends with its developer, so I was happy to see Parallax stocking it. But I think going with their own custom designs, even if actually made by someone else in some Chinese factory, is really the way to go about it.

I have no idea why the product was discontinued, but as other have mentioned, it's still available from maybe a half dozen other online stores. Parallax's price was pretty good, though; you basically got the Propeller board for free.

OddBot is certainly a great designer. The Wild Thumper concept was a great idea. As I am always having trouble with personal funding, I may wind up making my own chassis based on his design. Can't go wrong with that, but it would certainly look less pretty than the original! I have really benefitted from your books over the years, by the way. Great ideas contained within them as well!
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,762
    edited 2014-10-06 08:30
    Check out sparkfun they just recently announced an articulated off road robot chassis.
    Jim