Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
colorpal 28380 — Parallax Forums

colorpal 28380

colormancolorman Posts: 1
edited 2014-11-14 10:43 in Accessories
New member, without a clue.

Trying to learn how to wire a 28380 to an Arduino Leonardo. Would love a bit of TLC and tutoring.

colorman

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-09-19 09:29
    Welcome to the Parallax Forum, colorman! If you're using a ColorPAL with an Arduino, the schematic in this post should help:

Be aware, though, that anything you send to the ColorPAL under this arrangement will be echoed back to the Arduino and should be discarded. Also, be sure to use a serial I/O library that supports 7200 baud, as that is the sweet spot for the ColorPAL.

BTW, the ColorPAL's supply votage is spec'd at 5V. 3.3V is too low to illuminate the LEDs effectively.

-Phil
  • John BoardJohn Board Posts: 371
    edited 2014-10-09 02:25
    Perhaps this problem has been fixed, or maybe I was doing it wrong (not using 7200 baud?) - but I seem to have some faint recollection of having the ColorPals "crash" on me. They seemed to stop responding after a minute or so of operation. I think the way I got around this was when the chip recognized that the ColorPALs were not responding, it would reset them. I also talked to a few other people who had the same problem.

Either way, just take that as a word of warning.
  • DomanikDomanik Posts: 233
    edited 2014-11-14 10:43
    Be aware, though, that anything you send to the ColorPAL under this arrangement will be echoed back to the Arduino and should be discarded.
    John Board wrote: »
    - but I seem to have some faint recollection of having the ColorPals "crash" on me. They seemed to stop responding after a minute or so of operation. I think the way I got around this was when the chip recognized that the ColorPALs were not responding, it would reset them

I seem to have some faint recollection from an unrelated project many years ago that the serial in buffer would fill up and halt further communication. When I started flushing the buffer everything worked after that. Just a thought.
    Dom..