Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
which RFID shall i use?? — Parallax Forums

which RFID shall i use??

manojkumarbrosmanojkumarbros Posts: 1
edited 2014-09-21 15:20 in Robotics
Hi ,
I am a post grad engg student. I'm planning to build a RFID with WSN system that can monitor bus traffic inside spacious bus stations, and can inform administrators whether the bus is arriving on time, early or late. This information is then displayed on the different wireless displays inside and outside the bus station. I intend to keep RFID readers inside buses to identify stops [ the stops have tags]. the sensors[ zigbee transceiver/ or any transceiver to transmit to other transceivers to other nearby buses and ultimately this informatio goes to a central station.
So

1 ] which type of RFID reader [range and frequency] would suit best to be kept inside buses to identify tags at stops???
and

2 ] which type of tranceiver [range and frequency] would serve best to be kept inside buses to transmit and receive data???

Can anyone tell the
1] reception range of such readers and
2] their respective cost and
3] where can i get them?

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2014-09-20 20:40
    RFID is relatively short range. The tags would need to be within a few centimeters of the reader for them to work so I think it would not be practical for this type of use. A system using active transponders or possibly barcode readers would be more practical.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-09-21 15:20
    kwinn wrote: »
    RFID is relatively short range. The tags would need to be within a few centimeters of the reader for them to work so I think it would not be practical for this type of use. A system using active transponders or possibly barcode readers would be more practical.

Certainly the RFID systems I've used have been short range but I believe long range systems exist. I think they're used at racing events and I believe some toll roads use long range passive RFID. I think these systems are very specialized and expensive but I don't know much about them.

There are active RFID systems using nRF24L01+ transceivers which aren't very expensive and operate over longer distances. The catch is the tag needs to have a power supply.