Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New thruster on Kickstarter — Parallax Forums

New thruster on Kickstarter

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
edited 2014-09-16 10:56 in Robotics
For anyone doing underwater or floating robotics on a budget, these thrusters sure look intriguing:

-Phil

Comments

• TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2014-09-15 23:17
    Small, but powerful, and cheaper than most thrusters on the market too.
    I got an old Long Board laying around, this is gonna be great!, I'll never have to paddle out again... :)
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2014-09-16 09:18
    That's neat.

I don't have the time right now, but someday I'd like to build a marine robot. My first attempt would be a simple sailboat with a fixed sail that could only run with the wind. Drop it off upwind from where you want it to go and let it use the rudder to navigate to the way point. For later attempts I might try a movable sail to allow upwind movement.

Using wind removes the issue of powering motors, and a solar panel could power the electronics and RC servos.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-09-16 10:51
    Very cool, another overfunded Kickstarter project. I like the autonomous solar surfboard to Hawaii, seems like a fairly hardy vehicle.

Meanwhile, Robin Lovelock keeps trying to get his model sailboat Snoopy to sail across the Atlantic from the UK: http://www.gpss.force9.co.uk/autop.htm
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-09-16 10:56
    That does have potential. Isn't Ken helping some students out with something similar?