Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
First Dyson RoboVac Has Vision — Parallax Forums

First Dyson RoboVac Has Vision

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2014-09-05 18:43 in Robotics

Comments

• photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2014-09-05 09:43
    We'll see. For certain the random trajectory model is not efficient at all but it's also less complicated. Mapping is awesome and now more and more bots have the storage and processing to make that possible, However it's going to raise the cost and complexity of the robot. We'll see how it performs in real people's homes where things are not so neat and organized. It's often not possible to even imagine the kind of spaces that people can come up with.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-09-05 09:53
    Colin Angle of iRobot has demonstrated numerous times that room mapping adds negligible utility to your average household. Especially since loyal Roomba users not only rearrange their furniture to make a room more vac-friendly. Bring the mountain to an affordable Mohammed.

That said, some of those Roomba owners are right up there with cat people. :)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003918099_robot02.html
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2014-09-05 09:54
    According to the article, it is believed that the Dyson will sell for $1250.

I have two robots with excellent vision that can vacuum a LONG time for that kind of money - I call them son and daughter! Even at $20/week - I can get lots of vacuuming.
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2014-09-05 12:38
    erco wrote: »
    Colin Angle of iRobot has demonstrated numerous times that room mapping adds negligible utility to your average household. Especially since loyal Roomba users not only rearrange their furniture to make a room more vac-friendly. Bring the mountain to an affordable Mohammed.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003918099_robot02.html

I agree that the improvement is 'negligible' but it's still going to be largely more efficient to plan a good route with a current map. Thing is, the robot has all day to work, and it doesn't have anything else to do so who gives a hoot how efficient it is at it? If I need my robot to make dinner after it mows the lawn I'd want it to mow the lawn like I do, in a spiral. If its a robot to mow the lawn then I don't care how long it takes to get the lawn mowed as long it gets mowed overall. I think it's Dyson that has made the gimmick, though i suspect better suction would be welcomed by Roomba folks.

Of course I think back to the $300 fans they had at Best Buy and the attempt to sell me that in place of a $30 fan..... because..... BUFFETING!!! Wow, they solved a major problem I always never worried about!
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,748
    edited 2014-09-05 18:43
    erco wrote: »

Cat on Roomba videos are funny.