Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe-Bot Gripper Video — Parallax Forums

Boe-Bot Gripper Video

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2014-09-05 18:49 in Robotics
[video=youtube_share;5Lm22S9C2Jg]

Show me the Chinese equivalent, erco, for $10...this proven design is hard to beat. Though they've copied our chassis, our BASIC Stamp and our BOE, I haven't seen them knock off this particular product just yet.

Ken Gracey

Comments

• ajwardajward Posts: 1,129
    edited 2014-09-04 04:38
    Ken Gracey wrote: »

Show me the Chinese equivalent, erco, for $10...this proven design is hard to beat. Though they've copied our chassis, our BASIC Stamp and our BOE, I haven't seen them knock off this particular product just yet.

Ken Gracey

Ah... I see a challenge Ken! Take the Boe-Bot and golf ball to a miniature golf course and get him to score a hole-in-one! (Without going in the cup himself!) :lol:

Amanda
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-09-04 05:36
    That is sweet, Professor Gracey. I haven't tried one yet. Any way to add gripper feedback for force? That was a key mentionable/selling point for the venerable HERO 2000. Pick up an egg but don't crush it.

How about accuracy? With the Activity bot's encoders it could accurately spin in place and move multiple items around, even stack them.

How about a robot hustler doing the shell game? :)
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2014-09-04 06:06
    Ken, I hope you don't mind if I jump on your thread and say I own one of the grippers and like it. I built several robots on my own but bought a Boe-bot specifically to add the gripper kit.

Here's my Boe-bot playing fetch with a laser target on the dining room table:

Publison gave me better reflector tape, and I'm working on a new version of this project where the Bot-bot fetches an object from much farther away.

Here's another video using the SayIt to tell the Boe-bot to grip on command:

Here's fetch followed by bringing it to a beacon.

PS I need to get a yellow or red golf ball and try fetch using my CMU cam 4.
    edited 2014-09-04 06:16
    Here's another fan made video:

I like the reveal at the end.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2014-09-05 07:00
    Great videos everyone. Never had one of these - should have taken advantage of that Labor Day sale!

@Martin - would aluminum foil work as a reflector?
    edited 2014-09-05 07:18
    Whit wrote: »
    @Martin - would aluminum foil work as a reflector?

It would as long as the surface is flat and reflects light back to its source. If there's misalignment then it would always be above or below the sensor.

The good reflector tape has something like a retro-reflector in it, so the alignment is much less critical. That's why it's so much better than the cheap 3M tape.
    edited 2014-09-05 07:25
    Whit: tin foil and even mirrors won't work at any useful distance, alignment is too critical. Retroreflectors (google corner cube) reflect directly back to the light source, alignment is not a concern. That said, some retroreflective tape is better than others, especially for this particular red laser application.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-09-05 07:47
    I tried expensive 3M aluminum tape, 3" wide, that worked at about 3". So no, not with the laser and sensors that we are working with. The NAPA, (DOT), reflective tape works best. I was able to get 75' with that tape, but using a $150 laser head assembly that we use for timing in Autocross.

EDIT: Same product I gave Martin, but they used to sell 2' strips. Note he was not using the new strips in the video.:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Retro-Reflective-Conspicuity-Tapes-3M-Flexible-Prismatic-Conspicuity-Marking-Series-963-32-DOT/_/R-MMM22495_0006478064
    edited 2014-09-05 08:00
    For 3" maybe up to 12" you could use an IR LED and 38 khz receiver, so that would be a waste of this fine and noble Hamamatsu sensor. :)
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2014-09-05 09:40
    How about regular old bicycle reflectors? Same alignment issues?
    edited 2014-09-05 18:49
    Yep, bike reflectors are retroreflective too. Different materials work better or worse with that particular red laser light.