Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
"key not valid for use in specified state" — Parallax Forums

"key not valid for use in specified state"

bigbird5788bigbird5788 Posts: 2
edited 2014-08-28 10:24 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all,
I'm a little new here. Sorry if this question is answered somewhere else, but I could not find it using the search tool. When I try to install the Basic Stamp Editor Software on another students computer (after selecting the auto or custom installation), I receive this error and it forces me to close the installation program "key not valid for use in specified state". Anyone happen to know what this means?

Comments

• davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2014-08-28 08:34
    Hi BB - welcome to the Forum.

I myself do not know, but I do know that some questions will be asked of you by others:

1 - computer type
    2 - OS
    3 - serial-to-USB adapter type
    4 - probably other things I'm forgetting right now
  • bigbird5788bigbird5788 Posts: 2
    edited 2014-08-28 09:00
    Laptop (HP G65)
    Windows 7 64-bit
    mini USB to USB (although I have not got to the step of plugging stuff in yet. On that note this is what I am referring to http://www.parallax.com/downloads/basic-stamp-editor-software)
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-08-28 09:20
    I can't help but wonder if that refers to a registry key and perhaps you're having a permissions error. Do you have admin access on that PC? I will also have our software engineer see if he can shed light on the error message.
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 757
    edited 2014-08-28 10:21
    I can't help but wonder if that refers to a registry key and perhaps you're having a permissions error. Do you have admin access on that PC? I will also have our software engineer see if he can shed light on the error message.

That's my first thought too. The only thing I can think of referred to as a "key" for this purpose is a registry key. The error message is coming from the installer, which is an InstallShield installer; we configured it but didn't write the code for it so it's hard to look into it further to try to find the cause of the problem. User account permissions or group policy permissions affecting that computer are the likely cause of the error.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-08-28 10:24
    Thanks Jeff, you explained that so much better than I could. :thumb: