Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 letter codes — Parallax Forums

BS2 letter codes

SapphireSapphire Posts: 496
edited 2014-08-25 17:06 in BASIC Stamp
I've always wondered what, if anything, the BS2 letter codes stand for other than to identify the different modules. Does anyone know?

e
sx
p
pe
px

Comments

• Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2014-08-23 21:40
    It's a good bet that "sx" came about because it was the first Stamp to use the Scenix SX chip. Then "e", it used the SX chip but backed up the speeds to exactly match the BS2, but added scratchpad ram etc, so I thought of it as BS2 "enhanced". The p series, could "p" stand for Parallax? Don't know.
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 757
    edited 2014-08-25 16:08
    It's a good bet that "sx" came about because it was the first Stamp to use the Scenix SX chip. Then "e", it used the SX chip but backed up the speeds to exactly match the BS2, but added scratchpad ram etc, so I thought of it as BS2 "enhanced". The p series, could "p" stand for Parallax? Don't know.

Tracy is partly right!

The "sx" in BS2sx is because it's the first one after the BS2 that used an SX chip as its interpreter.
    The "e" in BS2e is because it was designed to be more energy efficient than the BS2sx that proceeded it chronologically (lower current), but also included the enhanced memory features of the BS2sx (enhanced version of BS2).
    The "p" in BS2p... I can't remember for sure but I think that was chosen because it was designed to have more performance than the BS2sx.
    The "pe" in BS2pe is because it was designed to be a more energy efficient version of the BS2p.
    The "px" in BS2px is to signify that it's an extended version of the p series.
  • SapphireSapphire Posts: 496
    edited 2014-08-25 17:06
    Thanks Jeff. That's good to know. I kind of suspected the "sx" designation, but could not figure out the others.