Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
arduino library problem — Parallax Forums

arduino library problem

brettdupreebrettdupree Posts: 1
edited 2014-08-22 10:03 in Robotics
I am trying to program my Boe-Bot to be remotly controlled via a IR remote control. It required me download and set up a new library. I have done so but the code given to me is not working.

Comments

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2014-08-21 18:46
    A picture of how you wired the sensor to the Boe shield would help. Also, try another remote, as some remotes don't use the Sony protocol which that library knows how to interpret.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-08-22 10:03
    First off, you ARE talking about a Boe Bot with the Arduino BOE shield, correct?

If so, like Martin sez a picture or at least full description of your connection would be helpful.

Added to that:

1. Arduino libraries need to be placed into your (My) Documents\Arduino\Libraries folder.
    2. You MUST restart your Arduino IDE so that the software can re-read this folder, and discover the new items inside.
    3. Your sketch must properly reference the library. Post your sketch for review (NOT the IR library). Please be sure to use the code tag when posting in the forum (look for the button above the edit window when you're composing your message).
    4. Verify that the IR library you got is updated for the latest Arduino IDE. If this is the Ken Shirriff IR library, there are a lot of older versions out there that will not work with the later Arduino IDE.
    5. Verify that you have connected your IR sensor correctly. Putting it backward and/or wiring it wrong will not only cause it to not work, but probably damage it as well. Not all IR sensors have the same pinout.

I've done quite a bit with the Shirriff library and Arduino. An example robot controlled via remote is here:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/engineering/robots/build-your-first-robot

with updated code here:

http://www.robotoid.com/byfr/

The mechanical platform is irrelevant. It'll work with the Boe Bot as well.