Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Smash Robots Now! — Parallax Forums

Smash Robots Now!

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2014-08-22 16:22 in Robotics
Don't let the robots take all the jobs, terminate them now! Actually a pretty well done video. The narrator's voice is particularly matter of fact and convincing, and it's on the Internet, so it must all be true, right?

Does the S3 represent a significant threat to our species?

http://www.roboticstrends.com/industry_manufacturing/article/video_predicts_robots_will_wipe_out_human_work/?utm_source=RoboTrendsWeekly

Comments

• John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2014-08-21 14:24
    I guess I retired at a good time. I witnessed personal computers eliminating many illustrator jobs (I had to make final slides) and secretaries (I did a lot of typing).

John Abshier
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2014-08-21 15:07
    Makes sense. My resume has been on my computer for many years, and never once has my computer offered me a job.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2014-08-21 15:31
    Maybe there won't be any Robot Veterinarians anytime soon. :innocent:
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2014-08-21 16:15
    The video makes a valid point, but I can't help wondering what all those robots are doing when no one can pay for those products and services?
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2014-08-21 17:24
    kwinn wrote: »
    The video makes a valid point, but I can't help wondering what all those robots are doing when no one can pay for those products and services?

This is a key point. Automation can completely break economies because it's deflationary. Why buy a new car today when automation will make it cheaper next year? But if no one buys a new car today under the expectation then the factories go out of business. The result is a massive contraction of the economy. As a culture we're completely unprepared for this.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-08-21 19:33
    Very interesting. I see the future being riddled with politicians, since those will be the only jobs available once robots can repair and program themselves.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2014-08-21 20:13
    The topic of this thread reminds me of Robotomy....
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2014-08-21 20:57
    Maybe this is a sign that I should get some more robots finished. If I have enough that I can hire out then maybe I can retire!

Robert
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-08-21 21:29
    doggiedoc wrote: »
    Maybe there won't be any Robot Veterinarians anytime soon. :innocent:

First robots will replace the animals, then watch out doggiedoc!

http://robots.net/article/3517.html
    edited 2014-08-21 22:24
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    Very interesting. I see the future being riddled with politicians, since those will be the only jobs available once robots can repair and program themselves.

Aargh. As if it isn't bad enough now.
    edited 2014-08-21 22:26
    Martin_H wrote: »
    This is a key point. Automation can completely break economies because it's deflationary. Why buy a new car today when automation will make it cheaper next year? But if no one buys a new car today under the expectation then the factories go out of business. The result is a massive contraction of the economy. As a culture we're completely unprepared for this.

As a culture we are unprepared for a lot of things. What comes after capitalism?
  • mklrobomklrobo Posts: 420
    edited 2014-08-22 00:22
    It would seem that the only thing saving us, is our stupidity. If it takes a more complicated robot to
    outdo us, and our minds are already becoming stretched, we can not support the competitive
    robots. You have to be smarter than the tool you are using.
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2014-08-22 06:13
    Martin_H wrote: »

I think that in most case the doom predictions don't pan out because (if allowed) equilibrium tends to establish. I strongly doubt that in the near future, we can expect automation to take over the planning and the execution of all human tasks. It's been obvious from the days of Henry Ford that if your job is to "move this from here to there" or "screw this into that" that you faced possible replacement. Yet still we go on. Even assuming the worst that they take over everything, expect population to respond. Highly automated and industrialized societies don't pump out 12 child families.

A lot of the doom scenarios come from applying "what we do now" to some perceived future calamity. Thing is we tend to stop doing "what we do now" when it comes time to do what we need to do then.

I for one welcome my new robotic overlords.
    edited 2014-08-22 07:36
    photomankc wrote: »
    I think that in most case the doom predictions don't pan out because (if allowed) equilibrium tends to establish. I strongly doubt that in the near future, we can expect automation to take over the planning and the execution of all human tasks. It's been obvious from the days of Henry Ford that if your job is to "move this from here to there" or "screw this into that" that you faced possible replacement. Yet still we go on. Even assuming the worst that they take over everything, expect population to respond. Highly automated and industrialized societies don't pump out 12 child families.

A lot of the doom scenarios come from applying "what we do now" to some perceived future calamity. Thing is we tend to stop doing "what we do now" when it comes time to do what we need to do then.

I for one welcome my new robotic overlords.

Or the pampered pet of a rich R2D2?
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2014-08-22 09:00
    Wasn't it Cat Stevens that sang "Moon Shadow"?
    Seems to me, we are well on our way to not having to work no more...:thumb::thumb:

I am ready, When can I start my new routine?

-Tommy
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-08-22 16:22
    First robots will replace the animals,
    This will NEVER happen. The unconditional love a pet gives can never be replaced. My dog does not talk back to me. All he wants is food, love and someone to play with him. For some reason I envision a pet robot as being too needy!!!!