Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
scribbler2 reset buton broken — Parallax Forums

scribbler2 reset buton broken

lamazonilamazoni Posts: 3
edited 2014-08-21 02:14 in Robotics
Hi,
My scribbler 2 recently bought appear to didn't pass the 7 year old children test ! Indeed the blue reset buton appear to no more reset anything since the apprentice play with it. Despide I reloaded the "factory software" with the help of the GUI S2v1.4 (I used the buton pictured by a litle scribbler with a aureole on top) ... After the loading done by the aureoled scribbler button the behavior stay at the first software (the one reflecting the intensity of the light sensor to the led color) and it do not change when the blue button is pressed.

I can't even know if it's a hardware or software problem. Where is the blue button on the electronique schema ? How can I check if there is a hardware problem ? In addition of this I was there during the test and there was no physical violence at all ! The button look physicaly ok. What is the purpose of the litle whole between the led and the blue button on the top of the scribbler ?
Please notice that the following code dowloaded RAM and/or EEPRON with propeller tool doesn't work also (the led do not light when I push the blue button as it used to before the test).
OBJ
  s2 : "s2"
PUB Main
  s2.start 
  s2.button_mode(true, true)

What can I do ... please help.... Should I send it back to my reseller ?

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-08-20 22:09
    lamazoni,

Each press of the blue button advances the S2 to another factory default program. It's also a reset button. For example, press it six times and you'll be in the ambulance mode, with IR, sound, and stall detector.

The presses need to be in fairly rapid succession, too.

The small hole is for a microphone inside the S2's body. The GUI doesn't support it, but you can access it via Spin code.

Let me know if you are having problems and we'll be sure to warranty the robot if has an issue. It seems like you might be in another country, am I right? Italy perhaps? Who did you buy it from?

Ken Gracey
  • lamazonilamazoni Posts: 3
    edited 2014-08-21 00:05
    Hi,
    Thank you for your reply, I bought it from a french reseller called "RS". I don't know if there is a return garantee. I finaly manage to found the reset switch on the electronique schema. Is it ok to not have a resistor component between the ground and the SW2 : I read that idea or nearly somewhere in the forum about a propeller developpement board that had a reset pb also. I will probably take contact with my reseller, anyway thank again for your answer and good reactivity.
    lamazoni
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,748
    edited 2014-08-21 01:06
    Switches are wired to be active high or active low. The switch is connected to either power or ground and the other end to the opposite through a resistor.
    Most of the time switches are wired to be active high.
    I/O Pin --- Switch --- Power
    |--- Resistor --- Ground
    If you look you see that the I/O Pin sees ground if the switch is not pressed but the I/O pin will see power if the switch is pressed.
    The resistor allows the switch to pull the pin high because more current flows through the switch than the resistor.
  • lamazonilamazoni Posts: 3
    edited 2014-08-21 02:14
    Heay you right Genetix, The thread I found in the propeller developpement board forum as I can remenber (I would search for the post later) call me this idea : what happen if the ground is nok ? (it might be on a embeded system), what I think is that the C71 may have trouble to discharge itself then mine could be broken. Dam I don't want to be separated from my litle tiny scribbler. Sometime I suceed in made a reset by pressing the blue button several time.
    Lamazoni
    (acutaly crying)