Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
mpu 6050 sensor IMU — Parallax Forums

mpu 6050 sensor IMU

dishadisha Posts: 3
edited 2014-08-16 10:31 in Accessories
This is the imu(inertial mass unit) mpu 6050 i will be using for my self balance robot.
i will interface it to atmega8 here is the image of the sensor:http://playground.arduino.cc/uploads/Main/mpu-6050.jpg
in this image i did not get pins:XDA, XCL,AD0,INT
HERE INT may be for interrupt if i am not wrong can anyone tell me what the pins i mentioned are for?

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-08-15 11:56
    disha wrote: »
    in this image i did not get pins:XDA, XCL,AD0,INT
    HERE INT may be for interrupt if i am not wrong can anyone tell me what the pins i mentioned are for?

I purchased a couple these sensors. It looks like the same one as the photo you linked to.

The only pin you don't have which may be needed in some versions of the MPU6050 code is the INT pin. As you suggested, the INT pin can be used to interrupt the microcontroller to let it know there is new data available. The sensor can be read without the INT pin but then it needs to be polled to see if there's new data. For a little over $3 you could get a board with all the extra pins if you want to use code which requires the INT pin.

The XDA and XCL are I2C lines the sensor can use to communicate with an external magnetometer like the HMC5883L. I think the AD0 pin is used with the magnetometer too. These additional pins are not needed to communicate with the MPU6050.
  • dishadisha Posts: 3
    edited 2014-08-16 07:25
    thanks. I found out that AD0 pin is used for address of the mpu connected. That pin status is the lsb bit of the address sent by the master.
    i.e at a time two mpu sensors can be connected that time Ad0=0 for one & Ad0=1 for the other.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-08-16 10:31
    disha wrote: »
    thanks. I found out that AD0 pin is used for address of the mpu connected. That pin status is the lsb bit of the address sent by the master.
    i.e at a time two mpu sensors can be connected that time Ad0=0 for one & Ad0=1 for the other.

Thanks.

Now that you mention this, I remember seeing this sort of thing on a lot of I2C devices. Having an address pin allows more than one of these sensors to be used on a single I2C bus.