Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
can the xbee transmit video? — Parallax Forums

can the xbee transmit video?

Eagle8587Eagle8587 Posts: 6
edited 2014-08-13 07:15 in Accessories
Can one of the xbee modules send and recive video data? and if so what models can or cant, what types of video, and how many video streams. at the moment i dont have any of the xbee modules yet but i am hopeing that feedback on here will point me in the direction i want to go in.
Thank you for your help

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-08-11 11:28
    Each XBee Module has a maximum baud rate. You can send data at that rate. So if you have the ability to encode the video data serially and send it across and decode it in real-time, then yes, you can send video. You cannot send the raw video data itself. It must be in a serialized digital form in order to be sent over the XBee.
  • Eagle8587Eagle8587 Posts: 6
    edited 2014-08-12 11:56
    Thank you Chris for the help on this
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-08-12 12:15
    If you did manage to encoder your video into digital data, you wouldn't get high resolution at anywhere near a usable frame rate. I've never seen video transmission attempted with a XBee.
  • Eagle8587Eagle8587 Posts: 6
    edited 2014-08-12 20:57
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    If you did manage to encoder your video into digital data, you wouldn't get high resolution at anywhere near a usable frame rate. I've never seen video transmission attempted with a XBee.

yea i noticed that in the similar threads lested below i tried to search for a related thread before i posted this one, what i am going to more then likely do is overlay my video with the information i need/want then get a different transmiter to send that data to my controller
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2014-08-12 22:30
    Duane Degn wrote: »

Is there any way to compress the data before you send it and decompress it on the receive end?
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-08-13 07:15
    Is there any way to compress the data before you send it and decompress it on the receive end?

Video lends itself to very high compression rates but the algorithms to compress and decompress video are beyond many (most?) microcontrollers.

I think the video compression/decompression also creates a delay in the video stream.

Small computers like the Raspberry Pi can stream video over a WiFi link. I haven't tried this myself.