Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BoeBot vs. ActivityBot — Parallax Forums

BoeBot vs. ActivityBot

David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,514
edited 2014-09-09 14:45 in Robotics
I gave my ActivityBot to my son and now I'm wondering if I recreate it by taking an old BoeBot that I have and adding the Parallax Digital Encoder for Boe-Bot (#28107) kit to it. Is that all that is necessary to have the same platform as the ActivityBot? I have an ActivityBoard that I can mount to the chassis. I'm just wondering if BoeBot + Parallax Digital Encoder kit equals ActivityBot. Or should I bite the bullet and buy another ActivityBot kit?

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-08-09 19:04
    David Betz wrote: »
    I gave my ActivityBot to my son and now I'm wondering if I recreate it by taking an old BoeBot that I have and adding the Parallax Digital Encoder for Boe-Bot (#28107) kit to it. Is that all that is necessary to have the same platform as the ActivityBot? I have an ActivityBoard that I can mount to the chassis. I'm just wondering if BoeBot + Parallax Digital Encoder kit equals ActivityBot. Or should I bite the bullet and buy another ActivityBot kit?

There's more to the AB than just the encoders. The encoders from the AB and the BOE-Bot are different. The AB's wheels have more holes and are in different locations than the holes in the BOE-Bot's wheels.

Besides the encoders, control board and wheels, the AB also has high speed servos. I think the AB also comes with a Ping.

There's a list somewhere of the parts needed. Hopefully someone will add a link (I'll look for it myself).
    edited 2014-08-09 19:11
    I found the list of parts needed to make an Activity Bot on the Learn site.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,514
    edited 2014-08-09 19:16
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    There's more to the AB than just the encoders. The encoders from the AB and the BOE-Bot are different. The AB's wheels have more holes and are in different locations than the holes in the BOE-Bot's wheels.

Besides the encoders, control board and wheels, the AB also has high speed servos. I think the AB also comes with a Ping.

There's a list somewhere of the parts needed. Hopefully someone will add a link (I'll look for it myself).
    Thanks for the information. It looks like the AB wheels and encoders are available:

ActivityBot Encoder Wheel and Tire (#28114) $3.99 each
    ActivityBot Encoder Kit (#32501) $37.99

I don't see the faster motors though unless these are the ones:

High Speed Continuous Rotation Servo (#900-00025) $16.99 each

If that's it then I guess a BoeBot can be converted to an ActivityBot (minus the ActivityBoard and Ping) for $79.95
    edited 2014-08-09 19:24
    I don't see the faster motors though unless these are the ones:

High Speed Continuous Rotation Servo (#900-00025) $16.99 each

If that's it then I guess a BoeBot can be converted to an ActivityBot (minus the ActivityBoard and Ping) for $79.95

I think those are the ones.

I have just about all the parts to convert a BOE-Bot to an ActivityBoy myself, except for the encoders. I just can't bring myself to pay $38 for a pair of encoders. I've been working on some homemade encoders to hopefully work with the AB. I still haven't tested them with the AB wheels yet but if they work, I'd be willing to send you a pair. I'm pretty sure I have an extra set of PCBs and parts to go on them.

I made my encoders quadrature encoders but they should also work as single channel encoders by leaving one pin disconnected. They might not work as well as the official version since Phil thinks normal encoders will have trouble with ambient lighting.
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,748
    edited 2014-08-10 16:42
    David, you can also make a Prop-Bot which is a BOE-Bot with a Propeller Board. The Spin code is on Learn.
    edited 2014-08-10 16:42
    I think those are the ones.

I have just about all the parts to convert a BOE-Bot to an ActivityBoy myself, except for the encoders. I just can't bring myself to pay $38 for a pair of encoders. I've been working on some homemade encoders to hopefully work with the AB. I still haven't tested them with the AB wheels yet but if they work, I'd be willing to send you a pair. I'm pretty sure I have an extra set of PCBs and parts to go on them.

I made my encoders quadrature encoders but they should also work as single channel encoders by leaving one pin disconnected. They might not work as well as the official version since Phil thinks normal encoders will have trouble with ambient lighting.
    Hi Duane,

Thanks for the offer of your encoders but I decided to give Parallax the business and I order their servos, wheels, and encoders. Good luck with yours! I wish I had the ability to build my own parts like that.
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,628
    edited 2014-08-10 18:28
    Dave,

The Prop BOE and the ActivityBot have different ADC chips, so you'll need code changes for that.

dgately
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-08-10 18:33
    FYI Activity Bot code on Learn: My understanding is that it works with the very specific combination of high speed CR motors run at the recommended 7.5V, and Parallax's single-channel encoders. Anything else and YMMV. This doesn't mean you can't use a retrofitted BOE-Bot with an Activity Board or PropBOE, but don't expect the Learn code to work 100% unless all the hardware is the same.

You don't absolutely need the Learn tutorials to use a BOE-Activity Board, of course, and you can always create your own routines and code. But the tutorials and libraries already provided make for a quicker start.
  • twm47099twm47099 Posts: 867
    edited 2014-08-10 19:24
    Hi Duane,

Thanks for the offer of your encoders but I decided to give Parallax the business and I order their servos, wheels, and encoders. Good luck with yours! I wish I had the ability to build my own parts like that.

David,
    The ActivityBot also has the 5 cell AA battery holder. I'm not sure what the BOEBot has. The High Speed Servos can use 7.5v .

Tom
    edited 2014-08-10 19:25
    dgately wrote: »
    Dave,

The Prop BOE and the ActivityBot have different ADC chips, so you'll need code changes for that.

dgately
    I have an ActivityBoard that I intend to use on this robot.
    edited 2014-08-10 19:26
    twm47099 wrote: »
    David,
    The ActivityBot also has the 5 cell AA battery holder. I'm not sure what the BOEBot has. The High Speed Servos can use 7.5v .

Tom
    Ugh. I guess I need to send Parallax an email and amend my order to include the 5 cell AA battery holder. Thanks for pointing that out!

David

Edit: Since I had to amend my order, I decided to go with the Li-ion battery pack! :-)
    edited 2014-08-10 20:21
    Edit: Since I had to amend my order, I decided to go with the Li-ion battery pack! :-)

Dave,

I just want to make sure you know there are two kinds of Li-Ion battery packs. One is small and should fit under the Boe-bot/Activity Bot and the other is the size of an Activity Board and would need to go on the top side of the robot. I believe the two boards work the same way.
    edited 2014-08-10 20:28
    Dave,

I just want to make sure you know there are two kinds of Li-Ion battery packs. One is small and should fit under the Boe-bot/Activity Bot and the other is the size of an Activity Board and would need to go on the top side of the robot. I believe the two boards work the same way.

This is the one I intend to order. Its documentation says it works with the BoeBot. I assume it mounts underneath like the battery pack does. Has anyone used this Li-ion pack with an ActivityBot?

http://www.parallax.com/product/28989
    edited 2014-08-10 20:34
    This is the one I intend to order. Its documentation says it works with the BoeBot. I assume it mounts underneath like the battery pack does. Has anyone used this Li-ion pack with an ActivityBot?

http://www.parallax.com/product/28989

That's the one that goes on top. Here's a picture of this larger board on my PropBOE-Bot.

attachment.php?attachmentid=91016&d=1332737785

This one (pictured below) fits where the original battery pack was. I'd think the smaller one would be a better match for your needs.

28988.png?itok=Z4Pzgq4Z
    edited 2014-08-10 20:39
    That's the one that goes on top. Here's a picture of this larger board on my PropBOE-Bot.

attachment.php?attachmentid=91016&d=1332737785

This one (pictured below) fits where the original battery pack was. I'd think the smaller one would be a better match for your needs.

28988.png?itok=Z4Pzgq4Z
    Thanks. Looks like I may have to call Parallax in the morning to straighten this out. So both packs will work with the BoeBot but the smaller one may be the better choice since it fits underneath where the original batteries were mounted.
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,748
    edited 2014-08-10 23:55
    The BOE-Bot uses 4 AA batteries.
    David, this is the board that Duane was talking about. It fits under the BOE-Bot and replaces the AA battery holder.
    http://www.parallax.com/product/28988

Duane has the regular power pack which is bigger so that's why he had to mount it on top.
    The power pack is nice because the charger is built into the board so you only need to plug it in.
    edited 2014-08-11 03:07
    Genetix wrote: »
    The BOE-Bot uses 4 AA batteries.
    David, this is the board that Duane was talking about. It fits under the BOE-Bot and replaces the AA battery holder.
    http://www.parallax.com/product/28988

Duane has the regular power pack which is bigger so that's why he had to mount it on top.
    The power pack is nice because the charger is built into the board so you only need to plug it in.
    Thanks for the link. The one that fits under the BOE-Bot is what I'll order if I I haven't confused the Parallax sales department completely with my emails adding items and changing items. Maybe I'll call them this morning to clarifiy what I want. Thanks everyone for your help in getting this sorted out!
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2014-08-11 04:30
    When I was experimenting with the ActivityBot, several months ago, I had the Li-ion BOE pack installed under the BOE. It is a very tight fit, but be patient and you will have no problem. The other thing that you may want to keep an eye on is the battery voltage, the BOE starts to respond funny when it gets down to 6.35V, it has problems with the abdrive program, if I am remembering correctly. You should have lots of fun with this as your first project.

Ray
    edited 2014-08-11 07:40
    Thanks. Looks like I may have to call Parallax in the morning to straighten this out. So both packs will work with the BoeBot but the smaller one may be the better choice since it fits underneath where the original batteries were mounted.

I don't have the smaller pack but what I understand is both smaller pack and the larder pack pretty much do the same thing. They both charge the cells in place.

When I ordered my Li-Ion charger, the small one hadn't come out yet.
    edited 2014-08-11 13:17
    Thanks for all of the help. I think I have my order with Parallax straightened out. No problems from their end. It was just my constant changing of my mind that forced me to call to get everything straight. I should be receiving new wheels, servos, the BoeBot Li-ion battery pack, batteries, and a power adapter soon. My BoeBot is about to become a rechargable ActivityBot!
  • Courtney JacobsCourtney Jacobs Posts: 903
    edited 2014-08-11 16:28
    As someone who has converted over a dozen ActivityBots to the under-chassis Li-ion battery pack (#28988), I have two pieces of advice:

1. Have magnetic screwdrivers handy (space is very tight and dropping tiny screws over and over is amazingly frustrating).
    2. Don't try to do the conversion without first taking most of the unit apart (including the tail wheel ball). Or, if starting off un-assembled or partially assembled, put on the Li-ion pack at the same time you are mounting your new servos. Certain screws need to be in place before the Li-ion unit can be installed.
    edited 2014-08-11 17:16
    As someone who has converted over a dozen ActivityBots to the under-chassis Li-ion battery pack (#28988), I have two pieces of advice:

1. Have magnetic screwdrivers handy (space is very tight and dropping tiny screws over and over is amazingly frustrating).
    2. Don't try to do the conversion without first taking most of the unit apart (including the tail wheel ball). Or, if starting off un-assembled or partially assembled, put on the Li-ion pack at the same time you are mounting your new servos. Certain screws need to be in place before the Li-ion unit can be installed.
    Thanks for the tips!
    edited 2014-08-16 16:39
    Rsadeika wrote: »
    When I was experimenting with the ActivityBot, several months ago, I had the Li-ion BOE pack installed under the BOE. It is a very tight fit, but be patient and you will have no problem. The other thing that you may want to keep an eye on is the battery voltage, the BOE starts to respond funny when it gets down to 6.35V, it has problems with the abdrive program, if I am remembering correctly. You should have lots of fun with this as your first project.

Ray
    I'm afraid I'm having trouble fitting the battery pack into the BOE-bot. There isn't quite enough space between the nuts that hold the servos in place. Is it safe to shave a little off the circuit board on each side? I don't think it would have to be much.
    edited 2014-08-16 18:20
    I'm afraid I'm having trouble fitting the battery pack into the BOE-bot. There isn't quite enough space between the nuts that hold the servos in place. Is it safe to shave a little off the circuit board on each side? I don't think it would have to be much.
    I tried replacing the nuts with nylon inserts with regular nuts and the battery pack still doesn't come close to fitting. It looks like it's too wide by almost the width of one of the standard nuts. What am I doing wrong here? Is it possible that the metal robot frame is wider in more recent versions of the BOE-Bot and ActivityBot?
    edited 2014-08-16 20:22
    Is it possible that the metal robot frame is wider in more recent versions of the BOE-Bot and ActivityBot?

This sure seems strange.

Did you watch the video on the product page? It looks like they so the pack installed.
    edited 2014-08-16 20:35
    This sure seems strange.

Did you watch the video on the product page? It looks like they so the pack installed.
    I just watched the video but it didn't really include any installation information. However, I read the installation instructions again more closely and noticed that they tell you to take two of the screws out of the servo mounts entirely. I'm not sure how well that will work with the ActivityBot since those screws hold on the encoders.
    edited 2014-08-16 20:45

Hi Courtney,

I've been having trouble fitting the Li-ion PCB between the two nuts that hold in the servos and the encoders. The instructions for the BOE-Bot battery back say to remove those entirely but then the encoders aren't held in very securely. How did you handle this?
    edited 2014-08-18 09:26
    If I'm thinking of the right screws, I just turned them around!

I've attached a picture of what the 4 servo/encoder screws look like from the outside of the chassis because I can't show the inside without taking my poor KittyBot (http://instagram.com/p/gJUfpqgjUN/) apart. (I will though if you need to see the setup more clearly, just ask.)

Three screws should have the lock nuts on the inside, and the one that the Li-ion pack sits on has the lock nut on the outside. Is this helpful?

photo.JPG
    640 x 480 - 104K
    edited 2014-08-18 13:22
    If I'm thinking of the right screws, I just turned them around!

I've attached a picture of what the 4 servo/encoder screws look like from the outside of the chassis because I can't show the inside without taking my poor KittyBot (http://instagram.com/p/gJUfpqgjUN/) apart. (I will though if you need to see the setup more clearly, just ask.)

Three screws should have the lock nuts on the inside, and the one that the Li-ion pack sits on has the lock nut on the outside. Is this helpful?

photo.JPG
    Actually, I already tried reversing those screws but the Li-ion pack still didn't fit. Any chance you trimmed the board as well? Or maybe the screws I have have larger heads? These came with my original BOE-Bot kit so I guess the ones that come with the ActivityBot might be different?

Thanks!
    David
    edited 2014-08-18 14:26
    To mount the servos and encoders on the ActivityBot, we use 3/8" pan-head screws. These screws are the same ones included in the current Boe-Bot kits. How old is your Boe-Bot?

I haven't ever personally had to trim the board to make it fit; the only other thing I can think of is that there may be a very minor difference in chassis size due to the age of your kit. On my bot, I have maybe 1/16" clearance or less between the board and the tail-wheel end of the chassis.