Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
X-CTU unable to monitor RSSI — Parallax Forums

X-CTU unable to monitor RSSI

trookstrooks Posts: 228
edited 2014-08-14 07:58 in Accessories
Chapter 3, page 29 of "Getting Started with XBee RF Modules under "Range Testing": Can not put a check in the checkbox for RSSI monitoring.

Have one XBee on a USB adapter and the other on a SIP adapter on a BOE.

Every thing has checked out to that point in the book. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-08-07 14:36
    I didn't see a mention in your connections of the DIN/DOUT on the remote module being connected together which is required. Can you show a screenshot of the X-CTU software and/or tell us which version of it you're using?
  • trookstrooks Posts: 228
    edited 2014-08-08 08:16
    Chris,

Thanks for the response.

I had just run the loopback and packet test and was running the range test but was not able to turn on the RSSI.

It was reporting good messages but for the range test but I really needed the RSSI to give me some indication of how communications was working.

After double checking the two previous test and retrying twice I decided it was time to find a shady spot with a breeze and continue my critter census.

Today I came back and redid the wrap around and packet test and then the range test and then the RSSI decided that today it would allow being selected.

It is a mixed blessing having projects that tell you when it is time to do something else for a while.<g>

Thanks again,
    Tim

- Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy. - Thomas Jefferson
    Ben Franklin said something similar but more 'wordy' about wine.
    edited 2014-08-08 09:23
    Tim,

Thanks for following up and letting us know.
    edited 2014-08-13 11:06
    Tim,

Thanks for following up and letting us know.

Another follow-up to my follow-up.

It seems that my problem with RSSI is a matter of hand-eye coordination. I have to really take my time and use both hands to click on the RSSI box on the X-CTU screen.

I still can not get RSSI values by using ATDB command. According to page 38 of the manual this should me a doable thing.
    edited 2014-08-13 11:09
    If you mean in the terminal mode are you first using the escape sequence to get into command mode? Which XBee model are you referring to? Are you getting any value at all?
    edited 2014-08-13 19:41
    I do the +++, get the ok, type ATDB and get a return of 0.

Also when I do the energy detection (ATED - see page 28 of tutorial) I only get 12 channels reported even thought XBee series 1 is supposed to have 15 channels.

The book does have three authors listed though...... hmmm -- something about too many cooks comes to mind. Too bad that not at least one of them was not a proof reader or tester.
    edited 2014-08-14 07:58
    I will see what I get from mine later today doing the same thing.