Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Board of Education Problem — Parallax Forums

Board of Education Problem

triakistriakis Posts: 1
edited 2014-08-04 07:25 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,
I have both a serial and usb version of the 'Board of Education' and only my old BS2 (plain) works in these BOE boards with my basic stamp editor (ver. 2.5.3) - my two BS2P stamps and my one BS2Px aren't recognized by my PC. I bought another BS2P, BS2Px, and usb BOE because I thought my serial BOE or my old BS2P somehow got fried... Has anyone encountered this problem or might know what's wrong (drivers, settings, voltage issues, etc.)? :frown:

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2014-08-03 19:45
    Welcome to the forums, triakis. Every genuine Stamp should be recognized by a BoE without any hardware changes. If you have one known good BS2 which checks good in all of your different BoEs, then all those BoEs are good, along with that BS2. If your USB BoE works, then use that one to test your other Stamps... it eliminates one variable, your USB/serial adapter. Make sure your 9V battery is brand new and everything else (all Stamp I/O pins, servos & hardware) is disconnected.

Do you have a Stamp carrier board, separate from a BoE? That has the minimum connections to get your PC talking to your Stamp. If not, you could use a breadboard if you're crafty. Ask for more details if you want help.

But as to why all your other Stamps fail to be recognized, I shudder to think... could they all be bad? Seems an unlikely, but possible (and $ad and expen$ive) proposition.

For your Stamp(s) that get recognized, here's a clever no-hardware Stamp test program from Tracy Allen (post #6): http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/124744-Stamp-BS2-Testing?p=930555&viewfull=1#post930555
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,749
    edited 2014-08-03 23:32
    Did you change the Stamp directive in your program to match the Stamp you are using? Did you check for bent pins and correct orientation before you attached your BOE to the computer?

Which command are you using to detect your Stamp?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2014-08-04 07:12
    When using the Identify button in the editor, there is no directive or program requirement. I assume that's what he's using.

Yeah, I know about ASSuming... :)
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,749
    edited 2014-08-04 07:25
    That's why I asked Erco because for only a BS2 to be detected is strange. I am guessing he/she is trying to download a BS2 program.

F6 - Identify
    F9 - Download