Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Regarding Direction calculation using Gyroscope,Magnetometer and Accelerometer — Parallax Forums

Regarding Direction calculation using Gyroscope,Magnetometer and Accelerometer

naseer_39naseer_39 Posts: 1
edited 2014-08-01 08:04 in Accessories
Hello all,

We are using MEMS tri axial sensor which has Accelerometer,Magnetometer and Gyrometer.We have also done Accelerometer and Magnetometer calibration.This sensor is used in borehole application.We have calculated Deviation of borehole using Accelerometer.Now we are stuck up in direction calculation free from rotation(i.e if the sensor rotates also the direction should not change).Is it possible to calculate rotation free Direction using the above three(Acce,Magnet,Gyro) readings. If yes please let me know .

Please find the attached image of Sensor orientation.

Thanks,
S.Naseer

TEST SETUP.jpg
677 x 907 - 42K

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2014-08-01 07:26
    Should be possible if the magnetometer is a two/three axis unit and the material around the borehole does not block or distort the magnetic field too much. Of course you would have to make some corrections to get a true compass reading.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-08-01 08:04
    If the sensor is stationary, a 3-axis accelerometer should give you orientation based on the acceleration from gravity. If the sensor is moving, then the calculations are a bit more complex but you should still be able to calculate direction.

What sensors and microcontroller are you using? There are a lot of great sensors and code for detecting orientation. I've been amazed at the results of sensors costing only a few dollars.