Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
My Best Differential Drive Creation — Parallax Forums

My Best Differential Drive Creation

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2014-07-24 19:28 in Robotics
Lindsey is a chipette off the old block. Here she's navigating very intuitively on her new "Cyclone" on her first ride. She went over a mile today up & down our street. Next: add blindfold, digital compass, encoders and ultrasonic sensors for dead reckoning.

As long as I'm bragging, she's quite the bipedal runner too. She beat all the girls and most of the boys in the July 4 100-yard dash. White shirt & shorts. :)

Comments

• doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2014-07-24 03:56
    Of course we are still waiting for her results of the figure 8 challenge. ;)
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-07-24 07:54
    I don't see a differential drive. I see a differentially steered vehicle using direct drive of two opposing wheels. Is that what you meant?

Here's a differential drive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_(mechanical_device)
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2014-07-24 08:22
    Some line following techniques should also be in order as well as the ability to Scribble here and there. :-)
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2014-07-24 08:41
    And the flame thrower or laser targeting system too!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-07-24 14:32
    I don't see a differential drive. I see a differentially steered vehicle using direct drive of two opposing wheels.

Well, differential steering at least! Domo arigato for correcting me, Mr Roboto! I could correct my title but then your comment would appear off-base... :)
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-07-24 16:58
    No worries. Some university professors are abusing the term these days. I fight a losing battle.

There's a wiki page that uses the term "differentially wheeled," which I guess is okay, except does that mean separate entries for tanks, whegs, powered omnirollers, and whaterver else they'll think of? Hmmmm.

Anyway, no one has yet commented on the trailing caster in Lindseys personal transport. Another hmmmm.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2014-07-24 19:09
    ^^^^^^^ I just bite my tongue and hope one day things will be right with the world... sigh...

For now, I will just figure the caster is only for training purposes, and will be removed when the time is right.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-07-24 19:18
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^ I just bite my tongue and hope one day things will be right with the world... sigh...

For now, I will just figure the caster is only for training purposes, and will be removed when the time is right.

TTYTT, I was working on the new Mattel Hoverboard before I was laid off. I was within a week of perfecting my secret anti-gravity Hover Caster. Too bad, it was cheaper than a regular caster and self-powered. And it's Mattel's IP so I can't pursue it. And they can't finish it without my equations, so it will never happen. Pity that!
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2014-07-24 19:28
    I like the idea so much, I choose to believe you, and you are not just making that up...:)