Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EMIC2 With Activity Board — Parallax Forums

EMIC2 With Activity Board

jeffomegajeffomega Posts: 17
edited 2014-08-12 08:08 in Robotics
I am brand new to robotics and programming and am trying to get my new ActivityBot to produce sound through an EMIC 2 card and a Veho360 speaker. Not sure if the EMIC is connected properly. I have tried to run several audio programs to test the device, including Emic2_Demo.Spin using the SimpleIDE software. The red and green lights on the Emic2 seem to come on properly when running the program after downloading it to the Propeller board. Any help is appreciated. Is there a step-step tutorial on using the Emic2 on the ActivityBot?
IMG_2115.jpg
1024 x 768 - 132K

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-07-23 11:42
    I can't see where you have the speaker connected.

It would normally be connected to SP- and SP+

EDIT

Looks like you are using the speaker jack.
  • jeffomegajeffomega Posts: 17
    edited 2014-07-23 12:10
    I have the Veho360 plugged into the Emic2. I have nothing connected to SP- & SP+. Is that required as well?
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-07-23 12:23
    It looks like things are connected correctly.

Have you tested the Veho360 with some other audio device to make sure it's working?

BTW, This is the Propeller 2 forum. Maybe a moderator can move it to the Prop ! forum?
    edited 2014-07-23 12:26
    Yes I have tested the Veho360 with my Android and it works fine.
    edited 2014-07-23 12:36
    To clarify, the LED lights on the EMIC2 show orange and green for about 3 seconds then only green. But no sound is emitted after waiting up to 30 seconds.
    edited 2014-07-23 13:17
    jeffomega wrote: »
    To clarify, the LED lights on the EMIC2 show orange and green for about 3 seconds then only green. But no sound is emitted after waiting up to 30 seconds.

What is displayed in the terminal window?

Have you used your EMIC2 with a different microcontroller? I'm wondering if the baud could have been changed on the EMIC2 when used with a different controller.
    edited 2014-07-23 13:36
    I have not used the EMIC2 with any other board. I am not sure I understand your question about the terminal window display. As mentioned, I am new to all of this.
    edited 2014-07-23 13:49
    I have not used the EMIC2 with any other board. I am not sure I understand your question about the terminal window display. As mentioned, I am new to all of this.

I don't use Simple IDE.

Hopefully another forum member can jump in to help.
    edited 2014-07-23 14:02

Are you using Parallax Serial Terminal? And with Spin Code?

I may have to buy an EMIC2 myself.
    edited 2014-07-23 14:10
    Pressing F12 will open the terminal window from the Propeller Tool. I think F12 also works from Simple IDE but I'm not sure.

(The Emic2 is a cool device.)
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-07-23 14:47
    Not to be a pain... but this is not P2 related, and should be moved to Robotics.
    edited 2014-07-23 14:57
    I'm on it. Didn't see the forum heading.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-07-23 16:51
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    BTW, This is the Propeller 2 forum. Maybe a moderator can move it to the Prop ! forum?

Somehow it got moved to the Robotics Forum. Is this robotics related?
    edited 2014-07-23 17:37
    In the SimpleIDE software I have under the Project Manager "Test WAV volume.side" and under that is "Test WAV volume.c". (Frankly I don't understand the Project Manager function. I did not see a .side file for the EMIC 2 demo so I just left this other .side in the Project Manager pane.) In the main window I have "EMIC2_Demo.Spin". When I try to load this spin program with the Run with Terminal button, the Terminal window appears but is just a blue screen. The program seems to load properly and I get no error messages. I wish there was a step-by-step tutorial with instructions for connecting all the devices that are sold for the ActivityBot. I have spent hours on this with my sons and I believe we are all about ready to sell the Bot and all the components we have purchased. We have succeeded in running the Bot with the IR sensors, but cannot find any info on how to connect the Ultrasonic "eyes" to the Propeller Board (we mounted the "eyes" on a servo and don't know where to connect the leads from the servo and the sonar eyes).

Regarding the Sonar: we connected the Parallax Servo to P16 and the Ultrasonic Sensor to P17. When we run the Test Ping Distance.c we only get distances of 0. When we plug the Sonar directly into the breadboard we get proper readings. Here are more photos.
    IMG_2119.jpg
    IMG_2120.jpg
    IMG_2121.jpg

Thanks again for any help offered.
    1024 x 768 - 112K
    1024 x 768 - 102K
    1024 x 768 - 112K
    edited 2014-07-28 08:26
    Typically the PING))) sensor is connected as described in the following tutorial for the ActivityBot: http://learn.parallax.com/activitybot/build-and-test-ping-sensor-circuit

It looks like you're using the PING))) Mounting Bracket, though I am unclear on that as you only mentioned a servo, not the bracket. Nonetheless information for building and connecting the mounting bracket are shown here: http://www.parallax.com/sites/default/files/downloads/570-28015-PING-Mounting-Bracket-Documentation-v2.2.pdf

The example uses the BoE-Bot, but on the ActivityBot you can use the same method. You have additional servo mounting headers on the ActivityBot. Likewise there is code for the PING))) for the ActivityBot. So now you're left to adding code to control the servo that the PING))) is mounted to. You can use the servo library functions to do this. It would be done just like moving any standard servo without feedback.

As for getting results of zero from the sensor, I am going to guess that is because the code assumes it is connected to P8 but you're using P16 and perhaps did not make the necessary changes to the code?
    edited 2014-08-11 19:39
    Is there code already written that you can recommend that will cause the Ping))) Mounting Bracket to scan from from side to side for navigating to avoid objects?

Also, we are still seeking help getting our EMIC2 to produce sound.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    edited 2014-08-12 08:08
    There is code, but it is written for the BASIC Stamp 2. You could look at that code (two examples) to see how it is done, however the structure of the code won't line up with anything on the Propeller. You'll have to do some adjusting there. On the Propeller you'd really want the scanning routine in its own cog.