Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
S2 GUI Program Maker Problem - Doesn't load helper components — Parallax Forums

S2 GUI Program Maker Problem - Doesn't load helper components

sanddragsanddrag Posts: 3
edited 2014-07-17 17:24 in Robotics
I have a problem with the S2 Program Maker GUI on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. It will not load any of the helper components such as the help file, monitor.exe, or the propeller editor. For example, when clicking the help file, I get an error that says "Windows cannot find C:\Program"

s2_gui_problem.PNG

Anyone encountered this? Any ideas of what's wrong? Uninstalling and reinstalling did not fix. I have the S2 GUI working just fine on other Windows 7 installations.
809 x 635 - 107K

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-07-17 14:07
    Are you sure you have the latest GUI version? This was an issue in an older version that was subsequently fixed.

-Phil
  • sanddragsanddrag Posts: 3
    edited 2014-07-17 14:11
    I am having the issue in both 1.3.2 and 1.4. It appears to be related to a blank space character in the folder path of C:\Program Files (x86).

If I copy the contents of the S2 v1.4 folder to a folder on the desktop with no space in its name, and launch it from there, everything works fine. If I put a space in the folder name. It breaks it.

What exactly is the issue, and how do I resolve it? As mentioned previously, I've had no problems on other windows 7 images. Something must be different in Windows or how the program installs on this image.
    edited 2014-07-17 14:22
    sanddrag wrote:
    It appears to be related to a blank space character in the folder path of C:\Program Files (x86).
    Yes, exactly right; but that's the issue that was fixed -- by issuing commands with the path-and-filename in quotes. So I'm a bit mystified as to why your particular installation of Windows is having a problem with it.

My only suggestion at this point would be to install into a directory whose name contains no spaces, as you've already discovered as a work-around.

-Phil
  • sanddragsanddrag Posts: 3
    edited 2014-07-17 15:05
    How does the software actually call these helper applications by path? Is there a Windows system environment variable or something it needs? I'd still like to investigate where the root of this issue is stemming from. Maybe knowing how it is referenced in the software can help me determine what is going wrong in Windows.

I know there's the s2.ini file with paths listed, but I doubt this is the issue, since I have identical s2.ini files on other systems with the software functioning fine.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-07-17 15:45
    Are you logged in as administrator or have administrator rights?

BTW. Welcome to the forums!

EDIT

No problems on my end using Windows 7 64 bit. Spin Tool comes up.
    edited 2014-07-17 17:24
    Okay, I think I know what the problem is. Forget what I said about the path-and-filename-in-quotes; that was several versions ago and must not have worked well. The current method is to convert everything to short path and filenames (8.3-style) so that there are no spaces to begin with. But this will not work if short naming has been disabled in the Windows registry. I see that you're posting from a school domain, so you might be using a school computer that your IT guy has configured this way. You can check the registry for the following:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation

If it's present, that's your problem, but I can't think of a good reason to have this key set. I'm not a registry guru, though, and can't suggest how to fix it. In any event, you will likely need admin privileges to do so or have your IT guy change it for you.

-Phil