Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
My Activity Bot build — Parallax Forums

My Activity Bot build

debrentdebrent Posts: 12
edited 2014-07-21 15:27 in Robotics
Just thought it might be fun to post my progress as I put this little guy together and (hopefully :innocent:) get him up and running...

The first thing to do was to set up a work area. They drill us at work about the hazards of ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) events and their potentially devastating effect on exposed circuitry. So I decided to buy an ESD workmat and wrist strap for my work area. Also had to dig around and locate all my tools again. Now I'm ready to begin assembly!!!

ESD Safe Workbench.jpg
1024 x 768 - 91K

Comments

• debrentdebrent Posts: 12
    edited 2014-07-14 21:38
    Approaching the halfway point of construction...
    So far I'm VERY impressed at how well this is going together. My only comment would be some of the odd angles chosen for some of the step illustrations. Step 3 for example might be clearer if the view was pitched a little toward the viewer. Step 7 is a similarly odd angle choice, but hey if that's the only thing I can fault, then this is a pretty impressively engineered kit. Kudos to Parallax!

About halfway built.jpg

Well that's all for tonight. I will finish up the mechanical assembly in the next go around...hopefully tomorrow.
    1024 x 768 - 90K
  • ChrisL8ChrisL8 Posts: 129
    edited 2014-07-15 14:27
    Fun! Keep up the work!

ESD huh? I put mine together on the carpeted living room floor while the kids played with Legos around me . . . looking back I can see why that wasn't the best idea, but we had fun. :)
    edited 2014-07-15 17:54
    clofland wrote: »
    ... but we had fun. :)

And that's all that really counts!
    edited 2014-07-15 18:03
    So I started examining the "ball and pin" that's provided as a tailwheel and I thought about how I could improve on it aesthetically using a tailwheel found on RC planes.
    This is what I came up with:

Tailwheel1.jpg
    Tailwheel2.jpg

It's going to have a little bit more grip at the back end than the ball would, so we'll have to see if that impedes pivoting. If it does, I can always swap it out for the original part.
    I like the look better though...
    1024 x 768 - 82K
    1024 x 768 - 85K
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2014-07-15 18:49
    Fortunately, the Activity Bot has plenty of mounting holes available to mount the correct Rudder Steering System, and you won't have to suffer the indignity of
    using a caster wheel for very long...

Your current Tail Wheel set up, will most definitely cause skidding problems during a 'turn in place' scenario, the stickiness of the rubber will likely cause your bots
    tail end to hop as it makes the sharp turn..

But not to worry, adding the Rudder Steering System will fix all that, and more...:)

-Tommy
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-07-15 19:00
    Welcome to the forums, debrent!

One thing though: your workbench is WAY too tidy. You're making the rest of us look bad. PM me your address and I'll snailmail you a bunch of wire clippings, stripped insulation and solder blobs to sprinkle about. And for Pete's sake, make a few burn marks on your desktop with a soldering iron.

Please.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2014-07-15 19:04
    That will add friction causing your servo motors to require a lot more current.

They have wheels that can slide sideways that look good too, I can't seem to remember the name. It's like a mechanum wheel but passive.
    edited 2014-07-15 19:16
    Oh now you will learn the deep dark secrets of trailing wheels! No better way to learn than to try to improve! :)

As I can see you've been told already, the hard plastic allows it to slide during rotation without causing friction. Ideally the trailing wheel would roll in every direction but that isn't easy to do. Holonomic wheels are expensive and finicky and casters have a tendency to lock up and drag at odd angles on light robots. A hard plastic ball is able to drag easily and instantly in almost any direction.

But don't let us discourage you from trying and learning!

P.S. I'll try to remember to post a picture of the amazing trailing wheel I came up with for my Lego Mindstorm robot. It took months of experimentation to come up with!
    edited 2014-07-15 19:33
    Well...I was afraid of that...pivoting issues that is. Yes, any available info on a pivoting wheel design would be awesome.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-07-15 20:55
    clofland wrote: »
    I'll try to remember to post a picture of the amazing trailing wheel I came up with for my Lego Mindstorm robot. It took months of experimentation to come up with!

Sounds like a must-see, clofland! Can't wait. :)
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2014-07-15 21:45
    debrent wrote: »
    Well...I was afraid of that...pivoting issues that is. Yes, any available info on a pivoting wheel design would be awesome.
    "Pivoting wheel design" is somewhat broad in scope...:)

A favorite of mine, is this set-up, and has been the base for several different variations.
    InaPinchBottom.JPG
    RudderServo.JPG

I think a crafty person would be able to shape material (3D printer?,WoodShop?,Playdough?) into a Rudder Steering System Assembly and fasten onto the Activity Bot,
    Thus, making the Ultra Ultimate Activity Bot Rudder Steering System Assembly,. I think it would be a good system...:thumb:

-Tommy
    800 x 600 - 293K
    800 x 600 - 285K
    edited 2014-07-16 07:37
    The ball on the ActivityBot actually works very well in my opinion.

After building several dozen different Lego casters, this is the one I finally came up with that works beautifully:
    Lego Caster.jpg

Ace Hardware! :)

I actually tried a few store bought casters and this one worked really well because it is close to a ball. The more tire shaped ones still had a hard time changing direction rapidly enough to not affect the robot's navigation. This one is able to pivot at a very fine point, so it almost never drags the robot off course in direction changes.

Oh, and here a is a front view in case you wonder what he looks like:
    Lego Robot.jpg

I could go into more detail, but maybe that should be on my thread, not someone else's.
    1024 x 680 - 78K
    1024 x 680 - 83K
    edited 2014-07-19 22:52
    With the exception of the tail wheel, the mechanical assembly is complete:

Basic Mechanical Complete2.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 104K
    edited 2014-07-19 23:00
    Addition of Ping))) Mounting Bracket:
    When I bought my Activity Bot, I had seen video of the Boe Bot wandering around with the Ping))) Sensor swiveling back and forth on this bracket assembly and knew right away I wanted to mod my Activity Bot to do the same. It was a fairly easy mod but it did require me to remove the activity board, which in turn required me to remove the front 2 screws on each of the drive servos. Here are some pics of that effort:

Ping Swivel Install 1.jpg
    Ping Swivel Install 2.jpg
    Ping Swivel Install Complete.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 85K
    1024 x 768 - 64K
    edited 2014-07-19 23:04
    Well, I managed to stretch it out as much as I could, but I construction is finally complete. It's now on to the real reason I bought this little guy...making him do interesting things!

Here is a picture of the "power up" test:

Electrical Connecttions 2.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 89K
    edited 2014-07-21 15:27
    Nice job. I still have the swiveling PING sensor mod sitting in the bag on my desk after several months. I just never got to it, you are inspiring me to get back to that. I kind of got sidetracked . . .