Is it possible?

Thanks a Lot
Thomas

Comments

• Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-07-13 11:57
    Yes, it is possible.

RoboPi_Pi_A_0863_web.jpg

I've been working on a RoboPi + Raspberry Pi + Boe chassis robot (I'll post a photo later today)

The bot is a bit tall, and is made from an EZasPie Proto 300, an EZasPi (B), a Raspberry Pi and a RoboPi.

The reason for all the decks is: (lowest deck to upper most deck)

Proto 300 - designed to mount on Boe Bot, it is the interface to securely mounting the EZasPi (B), makes room for a USB battery pack for the Pi

EZasPi (B) - used to securely mount the Raspberry Pi, can be eliminated if two holes are drilled in Proto 600 (I will be trying that next), allows access to P5 Pi I/O's

Raspberry Pi - for python :)

RoboPi - adds a propeller for hard real time I/O, each of the 24 servo headers can drive a servo, provide PWM for a motor driver, digital input, digital output, or ping style sensor input. There are 8 12-bit ADC inputs as well.

More info:

RoboPi product page: http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/robopi/

RoboPi thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/153275-Propeller-add-on-for-Raspberry-Pi-RoboPi..-the-most-advanced-robot-controller-for-Pi

Elf the RoboPi + Raspberry Pi robot: http://www.mikronauts.com/robot-zoo/elf-2wd-pi-robot/

There is more on my site. Please feel free to ask any questions in this thread, or my RoboPi thread.

Best Regards,

Bill
    Dear all,
    I have a raspberry pi and I want to program my boe bot with python
    Is it possible?

Thanks a Lot
    Thomas
    800 x 549 - 219K
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-07-13 12:12
    Dear all,
    I have a raspberry pi and I want to program my boe bot with python
    Is it possible?

Thanks a Lot
    Thomas

Thomas, I think your question needs to be clarified.

1) Do you just want to use the chassis from a BOE bot and put a Raspberry Pi brain into it as BIll described above? (Bill's solution would make a super robot platform)
    2) Do you have a BOEbot with a BASIC Stamp board on it and you want to be able to program the BASIC stamp from a Raspberry Pi instead of a PC. Is there a BASIC Stamp compiler that would run on a Raspberry Pi? (I don't think that one is doable but I'm not a BASIC Stamp person)

The BOEbot chassis and servos and battery pack can be re-brained in many ways. A Raspberry Pi brain may need a battery wagon to pull around behind it though! :smile:
    edited 2014-07-13 12:47
    (thanks Rick!)

Here is my "PiBOE" robot:

PiBOE.jpg

The decks are (top to bottom)

RoboPi
    Raspberry Pi Model A
    EZasPi (B)
    EZasPie Proto 300

Below the Proto300 I have a black LiON battery pack

There will be a motor battery packunder that, inside the BOE chassis.

This robot is a work in progress, I guess I should start a thread for it.

I am not aware of basic stamp programming software for the Pi.
    800 x 903 - 206K
    edited 2014-07-13 12:49
    Haha! That's one TALL BOEbot!!
    edited 2014-07-13 12:57
    I know... lol... that's why I have not posted before, I was going to eliminate the EZasPi (B) deck first.

Should look pretty cool after I add a camera, ping, etc. it's a fun build (if tall).
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Haha! That's one TALL BOEbot!!
  • thomas_pittinthomas_pittin Posts: 29
    edited 2014-07-13 13:27
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Thomas, I think your question needs to be clarified.

1) Do you just want to use the chassis from a BOE bot and put a Raspberry Pi brain into it as BIll described above? (Bill's solution would make a super robot platform)
    2) Do you have a BOEbot with a BASIC Stamp board on it and you want to be able to program the BASIC stamp from a Raspberry Pi instead of a PC. Is there a BASIC Stamp compiler that would run on a Raspberry Pi? (I don't think that one is doable but I'm not a BASIC Stamp person)

The BOEbot chassis and servos and battery pack can be re-brained in many ways. A Raspberry Pi brain may need a battery wagon to pull around behind it though! :smile:

Yes I have the boe bot with a basic stamp board and I want to program my boe bot using python or a basic stamp compiler for linux
    edited 2014-07-13 13:32
    thomas,

I am not aware of such a compiler, however running a DOS emulator on the Pi may be able to run an old DOS version of the Stamp software - I think I saw something about that a while ago on the forum.

The other option is to write some software for the Basic Stamp that would accept serial commands for setting servo speeds, reading inputs etc., and control that from Python with a Pi.
    Yes I have the boe bot with a basic stamp board and I want to program my boe bot using python or a basic stamp compiler for linux
    edited 2014-07-13 14:23
    But can I program using python instead of a basic stamp compiler?
    edited 2014-07-13 14:34
    No, the Basic Stamp, the microprocessor on the BOEbot does not understand Python. Python does not generate the code it understands. That is the job of the Basic Stamp compiler.

If Wine is available on Raspberry Pi, you may be able to set it up to run the Stamp compiler but even if it is, wine can be a challenge to set up. I think I'm about at a 50 percent success rate when I've tried.
    edited 2014-07-13 15:48
    Which software can I use to program my boe bot on raspberry pi?
  • mklrobomklrobo Posts: 420
    edited 2014-07-13 16:07
    :frown: help me understand the purpose of this Boebot, please.

You have a stack of boards, to process whatever awesome I/Os you want to, but the
    robot only has 2 wheels. what is all the processing power going to? It seems that everyone
    is going in the same direction. Is everyone making their own Elysium-style robots, and them
    pawning them off as BoeBots? Please help me. :innocent:
  • mklrobomklrobo Posts: 420
    edited 2014-07-13 17:43
    :nerd: i have bought a Hero Jr., and would like to clone the program, then put the
    program into a Boe bot, with more power. Sooner or later, the electronics will
    fail, and then the robot is gone. If I can incorporate Hero Jr. into a Raspberry Pi
    and propeller, that would give a dual purpose, platform and personal assistant.
    :lol: