Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New to forum... Just purchased an Activity Bot! — Parallax Forums

New to forum... Just purchased an Activity Bot!

debrentdebrent Posts: 12
edited 2014-07-14 20:08 in Robotics
Hi everyone. My name is Don and I live in Phoenix, AZ. I am an embeded systems software engineer for a large avionics company and work mostly in C, C++ and Python. This will be my first robot. At my job when we are developing a new piece of avionics equipment, I usually only see a small part of the overall development effort. I decided to build an autonomous robot as a means to sharpen my embedded programming skills and also to get a feel for what it's like to develop something from start to finish. Also, it's just a cool little robot!!! Anyway, I look forward to sharing this experience with all of you and I'm sure I'll have a few questions along the way.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-07-13 09:00
    Welcome to the forum Don!

Great group of guys here.

I'm sure you already know about the Learn site:

http://learn.parallax.com/activitybot

It is updated constantly.

Good place to flex your C muscles. :)

Jim
  • George SuttonGeorge Sutton Posts: 180
    edited 2014-07-13 10:07
    debrent wrote: »
    Hi everyone. My name is Don and I live in Phoenix, AZ. I am an embeded systems software engineer for a large avionics company and work mostly in C, C++ and Python. This will be my first robot. At my job when we are developing a new piece of avionics equipment, I usually only see a small part of the overall development effort. I decided to build an autonomous robot as a means to sharpen my embedded programming skills and also to get a feel for what it's like to develop something from start to finish. Also, it's just a cool little robot!!! Anyway, I look forward to sharing this experience with all of you and I'm sure I'll have a few questions along the way.

Welcome to the Forum. I am mostly a lurker here, but I am learning lots of stuff from all of the great posters. I hope to learn some C and other stuff from yourself over time with what sounds like a wonderful background.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-07-13 12:06
    Hey George, Did you ever purchase that Wild Thumper? If not, maybe you could convince Ken to put that on sale with the upcoming Parallax Sales!!!! Sorry, did not mean to Hijack the thread. Welcome debrent to the Forums. Lots of great (and smart too) people here to help you along.
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,762
    edited 2014-07-14 06:36
    Hi,
    I also live in PHX and work in Scottsdale. Where I work is near the Scottsdale air park if that is near you, I will give you store address and we can meet and talk propellar!
    Jim
    debrent wrote: »
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2014-07-14 08:57
    My name is Don and I live in Phoenix, AZ

Hi Don - Welcome to the Forums! :thumb:

-MattG
  • debrentdebrent Posts: 12
    edited 2014-07-14 13:53
    RS_Jim wrote: »
    I will give you store address and we can meet and talk propellar!

Absolutely!, I'd love to drop by. PM me or whatever you're comfortable with.
    D.
  • George SuttonGeorge Sutton Posts: 180
    edited 2014-07-14 17:13
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    Hey George, Did you ever purchase that Wild Thumper? If not, maybe you could convince Ken to put that on sale with the upcoming Parallax Sales!!!! Sorry, did not mean to Hijack the thread. Welcome debrent to the Forums. Lots of great (and smart too) people here to help you along.

Still working on getting one... hopefully by the end of THIS summer! Thanks for remembering me! Maybe we can get Don to help me with some of my code now that he has made himself known here!
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2014-07-14 20:08
    Don,

Welcome to the forum. I'm working on getting into an avionics company. Building robots has been a great experience. The activity bot should carry you a long way, have fun!

Jon.