Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Simple IDE Terminal Response Time? — Parallax Forums

Simple IDE Terminal Response Time?

briank77479briank77479 Posts: 36
edited 2014-07-11 15:35 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Thank you for the great learning tutorials, plus the help, provided in this Forum. Awesome!!! The question I have concerns response time for the Simple IDE terminal. I was practicing with running applications in different cogs. For the attached program I was attempting to read the values from the MMA7455 accelerometer and L3G4200D gyro. When I run the program I get the values to display however the response between moving the devices and seeing the corresponding value change is long; at least I think it is. I run the program, wait until I see the values reading, with the devices sitting level, and then tilt the devices in one direction. On average it takes about 20 seconds before the readings on the terminal match the position of the device. When I return the devices to level, again another ~20 seconds before the readings catch up. Can you guide me on what the delay is caused from? I've reduce the "pause" value down to 1 with no change to the time for the readings to catch up with the device.
The project manager settings are set to the Activity Board I'm using.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Brian

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-07-11 14:17
    It is possible to overwhelm the Simple Terminal with output from propeller. Reducing the pause time to 1ms would just make that worse.

What happens if you increase pause time? I.E. pause(1000); ... does the response time improve? If the issue is the terminal, response time should improve significantly, otherwise something else is causing the laggy latency.
  • briank77479briank77479 Posts: 36
    edited 2014-07-11 15:12
    Thank you Jazz,
    That did the trick! Something so simple but counterintuitive to what I was thinking.
    Much appreciated!!
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,629
    edited 2014-07-11 15:35
    You may only want to print when at least one of the values has changed, as well. If you are seeing a lot of the same values printing out, you still may overload the terminal's ability to keep up and show the latest changes.

dgately