Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
*** URGENT *** Need Mechanical Drawings and Dimensions for the Parallax Caster Wheel — Parallax Forums

*** URGENT *** Need Mechanical Drawings and Dimensions for the Parallax Caster Wheel

AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
edited 2014-07-14 08:04 in Robotics
We have a customer that bought the Parallax Caster Wheel Rev. B from our re-seller site iC0nstrux.com, but parallax is on back order. However, while the customer waits he wants to start designing the product into a prototype for a demo next week and can't afford to loose the whole weekend. Alas, parallax has no mechanical drawings or dimensions on their product page, or the PDF:

http://www.parallax.com/product/28961

Question: Has anyone used this product and made detailed mechanical drawings or better yet, reversed it into a nice solid works model? My customer needs anything to get started, if someone traced the base, and showed dimensions and hole positions that would even be helpful.

We already contacted Parallax sales, and the "product owner" is out sick, and no one else seems to have access to the design files. Anyway, I really want to help this customer since I know how it is during crunch time and you can get data.

Hopefully someone here has some drawings they have made or know of a 3rd party PDF that has mechanical dimensions of the part.

You can email me directly at ceo@nurve.net or post here.

Andre'

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2014-07-11 12:54
    The most recent thread on the subject is this url, and it appears that you have to email Matt: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/155934-Solidworks-Files-Needed?p=1272207&viewfull=1#post1272207
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-07-11 13:05
    I've asked our internal product owner (Matt) to get these drawings up on the product page for download.

We just finished a CAD redesign of them (I know, as I signed the check) and I'd like to see that the whole effort is properly rounded up and completed. So, I asked Matt to get the drawings posted immediately. There's a bit more to do, like storing them on the internal network, making sure they are appropriately licensed as open open, source, etc. but he'll take care of it.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2014-07-11 22:35
    @Ken & Matt

I am on the page now:

http://www.parallax.com/product/28961

I don't see anything new? The product PDF still has no dimensions, looks the same, and I don't see any new PDFs with dimensioned mechanical drawings?

Did you put them on a different page? Customer was hoping to start on this tonight friday, so hopefully I can get him something by tomorrow, he already bought the product, but wants to work while he waits for it to ship out.

Thanks,

Andre'
    edited 2014-07-12 18:02
    I've attached a zip containing complete SolidWorks files for the Caster Wheel.

I'll be sure these are on the product page on Monday, but for now they're here so your customer can get started.

Ken Gracey
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2014-07-13 01:12
    Thanks, just sent it to the customer.

Andre'
    edited 2014-07-13 22:47
    AndreL wrote: »

We already contacted Parallax sales, and the "product owner" is out sick, and no one else seems to have access to the design files.

This makes us sound really helpless now that I read it again. By contrast to your impression, I truly feel we are organized internally and we have a process for doing just about anything - especially putting design files on our web site. At least several people in the office could've lead you to the product owner and their backup to get the drawings together. I'll be sure we all know how to identify the product owner internally (it's right in our business software - easy to find) and to work with their backup in case this kind of emergency happens again.

Ken Gracey
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2014-07-14 08:04
    Yep, that would be me :( Sorry for dropping the ball guys. The files should have been posted sooner they're really *new* and the old ones were from the prior version so they weren't appropriate).

They should have been posted sooner of course! When it rains, it pours, and I had a family emergency on Wednesday so had to take the rest of the week off to deal with it. I'm back - be it for better or worse!

Like the Icon that he is, Ken bailed me out...again! Thanks Chief :)
    -MattG