Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$480 Modular Robot Kit: Easy to Crush — Parallax Forums

$480 Modular Robot Kit: Easy to Crush

Comments

• ajwardajward Posts: 1,129
    edited 2014-07-10 04:51
    Not sure I would like one of these (beyond the price). Why there are no small screws and nuts to cross-thread, no discrete components to wire backward and fry, no loose/intermittent connections to drive you to beat your head on the desk for an hour... where's the fun in that???

@
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-07-10 06:35
    I'm sure the STEM curriculum developers in many school districts are going to gobble them up:

Safe
    Simple
    System (wouldn't want any unstructured environments)
    iPhone interface

Let's say 10 per school.....how better could they spend that $4800 per school on STEM technology???? (and still keep the little ones safe)

@erco, since you've already had the enviable job of being a toy R&D engineer, I think your next enviable job should be a technology reviewer - I mean really, people sending you toys to play with and write about PLUS you get paid! How hard could that be??
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-07-10 08:10
    I guess you can forget about using a compass module with this.

I'm not sure they'll be a favorite of schools. With LEGO, except for the brick the individual parts are cheap, so bits and pieces disappearing isn't a big deal. I think with this one replacing parts that will naturally end up in kids' pockets will be too expensive to keep replacing.

The university level might be different, where students would each buy their own, but then the construction of these doesn't teach anything useful for real life. Th design is elegant, but does it provide an education where a student needs it?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-07-10 08:14
    I guess you can forget about using a compass module with this.

LOL. You got that right!
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,748
    edited 2014-07-10 19:52
    For less you can get a LEGO kit with much sturdier pieces and many robots lack Bluetooth yet are still very popular. The MOSS blocks look cool but I question their durability. This looks more like a show-off than a use everyday kit. We'll see how long this kit is out before major changes are made or it's discontinued.