Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Si1143 Proximity Sensor — Parallax Forums

Si1143 Proximity Sensor

Angela-CurtiAngela-Curti Posts: 44
edited 2014-07-13 12:14 in Accessories
Hi,

Just to know if the Si1143 Proximity Sensor can detect a face or my hands
like xbox or perhaps is a low cost xbox alternative.

It has been difficult to understand what the sensor can really do.

Do you have a video, pictures or something like that to understand ?

Best regards , Angela

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-07-07 09:36
    Here is a video done on another micro controller, but it would work the same with Parallax products.

http://moderndevice.com/new-products/si1143-based-distance-sensors/
  • Angela-CurtiAngela-Curti Posts: 44
    edited 2014-07-07 13:44
    thanks Publison:

But It seems the sensor is to measure distances between an objet and the hand.

But this sensor can't "see" gestures like a face gestures. It seems this sensor can'r detect if there are two hands or two fingers of one hand.

Could you confirm please ?

Thanks.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-07-07 14:11
    The Sensor is meant to see gestures of a hand from left to right, right to left, up to down, and down, to up. It can also determine distance based on all sensors measuring at the same time

Face gestures will not be achievable IMO with this device.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-07-08 20:56
    I have one of these sensors and the answer is no, it does not detect facial expressions.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-07-12 20:30
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    I have one of these sensors and the answer is no, it does not detect facial expressions.

You would think that it could reliably recognize (or at least anticipate) the sad face of disappointment on the user's face after they realized this!
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-07-13 12:14
    Funny, erco!!! I guess if your face was close enough and the expression was long enough it might, but I doubt it. I might give it a try!!! However, even with hand gestures it is not 100% accurate and if used in real world application it might cause issues.