Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Outnumbered by Robots in 2045 — Parallax Forums

Outnumbered by Robots in 2045

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-07-06 08:43
    Of more concern to me, I could be 85 in 2045! Double Dangit!!
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2014-07-06 09:46
    "Feed me!"
    "OK, I'll be right back...Hey, unlock this door!"
    "Feed me..."
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-07-06 12:09
    Let's collectively agree to install large, easy-access kill switches on all of our future robots, OK? Better safe than sorry.

And Rick, may we all live long enough to regret building auto-recharge docks so our robots never run out of energy pursuing us, their creators.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2014-07-07 06:27
    From the article: "Artificial intelligence is becoming more and more capable,"
    Er, no. It doesn't. You can use computers for more and more things, but AI it isn't. That road was left behind a long time ago when the optimism faded. And for the scenario outlined in the article you would need conscious machine intelligence, and nobody has any idea about how that can be done. We're no closer to understanding how a machine could become conscious than we were decades ago. Nothing has improved on Isaac Asimov's short story about a feedback system (in a laser setup, but the laser itself wasn't the point).
    Before it's possible to estimate a trend you'll need a starting point, and in this case that would be some kind of feeble tiny machine consciousness, and we're not there. So there's nothing to estimate from.

In short, that article doesn't worry me more than the Terminator movies did. It's at the same level of credibility as those movies.
  • whiteoxewhiteoxe Posts: 794
    edited 2014-07-08 02:08
    The slow and deadly advance of Robots. There are many many new robots using all manner of locomotion; AI still has a long way to go but that keeps improving each year. I liked some videos I saw of very small robots learning. Some were made with legs with no clue how to set them to walk., but through trial and error worked out for themselves how to walk.

Sam Harris, neuroscientist and author of The Moral Landscape and many other books makes a compelling argument that we ourselves are biological robots, we have neural networks always wanting to be taught. You could stretch that to programming. One day robots might be considered to be just as alive, able to feel , become conflicted on what the right thing to do it.

Course our current drones can’t feel , but when they can they might be so good at there job that they would be considered psychopaths ;)

As far a cyborgs go i don’t know if what I watched was happeningot they were still working on it. They made I tiny chip with some kid of substance on it so the brain cells or neural network would grow on the chip. I think they copied the plan froma mouse that could do things the other mouse couldn't or had not worked out. After implanting this chip in the "dumb" mouse, it was able to perform very much like its counter part!
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2014-07-08 06:41
    if you wear glasses, a watch, carry a phone, or wear clothes, you have already started the transformation into a cyborg. adding synthetic accessories to humans has long been the norm.

the may be an impact if there is "singularity", but that wont be BAD, it will just be different.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-07-08 07:42
    "Nasty Robot Zombie Problem?"

"No Problem! Buy our patented ZombieZap2045, based on EMP technology!"

fine print: Will not de-activate EMP-shielded robots, robots in Faraday cages, or advanced alien robots.
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2014-07-08 13:36
    We're a long way from an automated robot that can pick grapes and prune orchard trees. As much as I'd like to type what I want for dinner on my monitor and have my "chef" robot prepare and bring it to me, I don't think it'll happen.
    I do however think I could plow my driveway or mow my lawn from inside my house. I'm sure my neighbors would ask me to blow their leaves as long as I'm at it.
    I was fascinated the automated 'convenience store' I saw at my daughter's college campus. I thought , "Wow! you could manage inventory online".
    More robots? I say bring'em on!
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2014-07-08 16:25
    There are already more robots than people in my house. What have I done?!
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-07-08 20:30
    What have I done?!
    Reproduced?
    edited 2014-07-09 18:31
    A single 60-foot tall robot could outnumber sixty people. Gundam style!

http://news.yahoo.com/japan-plans-giant-gundam-robot-100919475.html
    edited 2014-07-11 01:33
    Martin_H wrote: »
    There are already more robots than people in my house. What have I done?!

I believe you are familiar with my situation. Dire straits indeed.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-07-11 07:17
    Erco,

All of a sudden my robot zoo seems tiny...

Very cool.
    erco wrote: »
    I believe you are familiar with my situation. Dire straits indeed.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-07-11 07:30
    I also like Ross' (Catalina C) collection.

RossHigson.jpg
    200 x 154 - 26K