Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A couple questions about Ping Sensors: — Parallax Forums

A couple questions about Ping Sensors:

NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
edited 2014-07-12 20:24 in Accessories
If a Ping Sensor is turning at a fairly high rate of speed, will this cause the Ping to "falsely" sense items or to not sense them at all? Also, if I were to put several Pings together in a "Dish" like formation would they interfere with each other? I will be posting more as to what I am trying to accomplish on my Wild Thumper project page. I figured I would ask these questions here since they pertain to the Ping Sensor alone.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-07-03 16:57
    NWCCTV wrote:
    If a Ping Sensor is turning at a fairly high rate of speed, will this cause the Ping to "falsely" sense items or to not sense them at all?
    Depending on the turning rate and the distance of the targets, you do risk missing items. This would happen if the echo returns after the Ping))) has rotated too far to catch it.
    Also, if I were to put several Pings together in a "Dish" like formation would they interfere with each other?
    Yes, unless you triggered them one at a time and waited the maximum interval before triggering another one.

-Phil
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-07-03 18:01
    What is a "realistic" distance a Ping could detect an item?
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-07-08 21:00
    Perfect. I added that to my Index page so I know where it is when I need it. Thank you very much!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-07-12 20:24
    That Ping-dar project is the coolest, and I first saw it several years ago. There's a 2-player battleship or Battlezone game in there somewhere, waiting for Duane, Mike, Whit, Rick or Rich to make it happen.

Another cool fact (recently brought to light by guru Tracy Allen IIRC) about the PING sensor is that has a timeout under 20 ms, so you can get a reading in between servo pulsouts every 20 ms.

Them Parallax fellows are dang sharp!