Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Learn GCC is great! Need ref manual for C.... — Parallax Forums

Learn GCC is great! Need ref manual for C....

sir_hacksalotsir_hacksalot Posts: 15
edited 2014-07-10 22:51 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Thanks for all the hard work on the Learn GCC tutorials. Im cruzin along just fine through them. What I really would like to have is a Reference manual for C that is similar to the "Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference manual" Any Suggestions?.

Comments

• Courtney JacobsCourtney Jacobs Posts: 903
    edited 2014-06-30 15:23
    We're so glad you're enjoying your experience with our Propeller C tutorials; we love to hear feedback like this.

Creating a web-help like the one we offer for the BASIC Stamp is definitely on our to-do list, but we're not quite there yet. In the meantime, you can use the Simple Library Documentation for help with library functions. You can access the device-specific documentation directly through the Simple Libraries folders in your Learn folder, or the full index of libraries by clicking on Help -> Simple Library Reference in the SimpleIDE window.
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2014-06-30 16:30
    Thanks for all the hard work on the Learn GCC tutorials. Im cruzin along just fine through them. What I really would like to have is a Reference manual for C that is similar to the "Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference manual" Any Suggestions?.

While I may disagree with a number of people here that think that the book "the C programming language" is a good book to learn C with I do think that the 2nd (covers ansi C) makes the good reference that you seem to be looking for. That book and the others I've are geared towards programming on a general purpose type computer and not embedded controller type work. Simply ignore all that and take from it what makes sense! :-)
  • sir_hacksalotsir_hacksalot Posts: 15
    edited 2014-07-08 16:31
    Thank you for the info! After a few dozen hours or so working with the tutorials think its safe to say that navigating the library reference is quite the click fest!. I tend to get ahead of myself though. If I see an operator or symbol / thingy in the code that isnt explained right away, I tend to attempt to figure it out right then and there. Most of the time the explanation is in the next tutorial. The Library reference is tough to navigate but it gets me what I need. I understand that this is a work in progress. I really appreciate your work.

Hopefully a searchable help file on every function and its various parameters will be coming soon.

Parallax Forever!
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-07-08 17:25
    The latest version mentioned here has "mouse over name" + F1 help for the SimpleIDE Learn libraries.

I plan to expand this feature in the fall to include propeller.h library help (available here), C library help (available online), an index, and a search box.
  • sir_hacksalotsir_hacksalot Posts: 15
    edited 2014-07-08 17:48
    If the learn libraries are your project my hat is off to you sir. Thank you very much for all your hard work on this. Keep it coming.

Parallax Forever!!
    sir_hacksalot....

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-07-08 19:40
    Andy at Parallax wrote most of the Learn libraries and the Learn tutorials.

I wrote the SimpleIDE, a few libraries, and am part of the Propeller GCC team.
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2014-07-10 17:10
    the book i like is " teach yourself C in 21 days" sams publishing.
    it covers ansi C
  • George SuttonGeorge Sutton Posts: 180
    edited 2014-07-10 20:03
    jazzed wrote: »
    Andy at Parallax wrote most of the Learn libraries and the Learn tutorials.

I wrote the SimpleIDE, a few libraries, and am part of the Propeller GCC team.

Thank you for writing the SimpleIDE. Your efforts are most appreciated.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-07-10 22:51
    " teach yourself C in 21 days"
    I have used various versions of the "Teach Yourself" series and I really like them. You can finish in 21 days or less or more. They have them for pretty much all languages.