Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fun with my new Pin Nailer, or, Oh no, Not another LED Cube... — Parallax Forums

Fun with my new Pin Nailer, or, Oh no, Not another LED Cube...

TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
edited 2014-07-03 20:36 in Robotics
I was out of town and bored, Fortunately, a near by Radio Shack had a simple solution available, and the price was marked down, alot..:thumb:
I had my trusty soldering iron kit with me as usual, so for a few hours, my boredom was tamed.
But what do you do with it once its done? Stuff it in a drawer? Hang it on the wall? Clutter up the workspace?
For me, I decided to stuff it in a hastily built wooden Box first, and then Clutter up a shelf...:smile:

As I had just acquired a brand new 'Pneumatic Pin Nail Driver', that will insert, with extreme prejudice, 5/8" to 1", 23 gauge 'needles' into hardwood.
A very handy machine to have around, if you like driving needles into hardwood that is... Anyways, I wanted to try it out, and gauge it for accuracy,
It is an inexpensive tool (read Harbor Freight), so, I needed to put it through some Real World testing, to verify worthiness in a busy wood shop...
Turns out, all is well, and I will keep it for my already extensive, and growing, Nail Gun collection.

Some may recognize the 3X3X3 LED Cube, and have built one yourself.
Since I have no Arduino Uno to attach the Cube, I used a Propeller QuickStart board for the Brains.
CubeLEDParts.jpg

Stuffing the parts into the wood box, was not complicated, as there was plenty of room for everything to fit, in fact, I got a little sloppy with untrimmed wire length.
That's okay though, When the side piece snaps into the Magnets, all the ugly wires go away...:smile:
CubeBoxInside.jpg

Wanting to "use" more of the QuickStarts ability, I added two momentary push buttons, so the speed and light patterns could be adjusted and cycled through as desired.
Here it is in all of its glossy glory...(no fair making fun of the workmanship, it was just a test, and I spent all of twenty minutes cutting the parts to shape.)
CubeBox.jpg

What a fun and interesting project, My wife loves it, and now wants a "Real One"..:innocent:

-Tommy
1024 x 510 - 116K
1024 x 1365 - 144K
1024 x 1365 - 180K

Comments

• TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2014-06-29 10:23
    (Reserved for Post #1000)

DOH!..

-Tommy
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-06-29 10:39
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    (Reserved for Post #1000)

DOH!..

-Tommy

Congrats Post 1000!

Jim
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-06-29 10:48
    Great project Tommy, and hitting 1000 posts is fabulous. Four star effort!

I'm at over 12K. Clearly there are those who do (you) , and those who post (me) !

Congrats!
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-06-29 12:22
    Congrats on #1000!! (I thought you had many more posts.....you are one of those content guys, I guess!)

Congrats on beating back boredom!!! Well done!

Is a "real one" larger, maybe on CASTERS, so you can move it from room to room??? :lol:
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-06-29 12:47
    This looks like a fun project and congratulations on hitting 1000 posts.

I know it's hard to make videos of LED projects but I was hoping to talk you into giving it a try. It would be fun to see your cube go through its paces.

Another request is to see a photo of the cube next to some object for scale. I know how big a QuickStart board is but my mind doesn't hold the size of it well when comparing the reset of the project. How about taking a photo of the cube next to a can of soda or maybe some AA batteries?

When I look at the bottom photo of the three my brain can make the buttons big arcade buttons and I start to picture a coffee table sized structure. Put a shot glass on the enclosure and it could look like a big tumbler.

Cool project. Thanks for sharing it.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2014-06-29 14:34
    Great job Tommy! Looks really neat. Congrats on 1K posts too.
    edited 2014-07-01 15:33
    This is a quick picture to maybe help show the scale of the Cube...
    CubeScale.jpg

That bottle was close at hand, so I used it to show scale.. Hope that helps...:smile:

Here is Video of the Cube in action... One whole minute of Pure Light Show, Your only gonna need the edge of your seat to watch this one...
    Enjoy!

-Tommy
    1024 x 1365 - 171K
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2014-07-01 16:46
    One of these days I'm going to build an LED cube. But odds are I won't build such a nice box to put it in.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2014-07-03 18:06
    Martin_H wrote: »
    One of these days I'm going to build an LED cube. But odds are I won't build such a nice box to put it in.

Martin_H,
    You could be the "first" with a 3D LED mini-monolith or an obelisk.

Still, if it ain't on wheels... just sayin'.
    edited 2014-07-03 18:08
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    That bottle was close at hand, so I used it to show scale.. Hope that helps...:smile:

I'm worried.

Still, if it ain't on wheels... just sayin'.
    edited 2014-07-03 19:55
    You are on it! PJ Allen, Please allow me to legitimize my Wooden Box posting with this short video clip...
    I have hopes this video will help to make things right with the World.:)

As for the Bottle, well...I can say this much about it.
    That Bottle ain't no kids toy...
    NoKidsToy.jpg

I was just messing with Duane Degn. After-all, he was the one that suggested the Shot Glass...:smile:

-Tommy
    1024 x 1365 - 197K
    edited 2014-07-03 20:03
    Doppler bonus.
    Awesome.
    edited 2014-07-03 20:36
    I'm seeing the Pin Nailer on the Scribbler, shooting nails along with a blue streak of profanity.
    I have to go empty some more comparison bottles (strictly for scientific purposes.)