Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Practical Quadcopter — Parallax Forums

Practical Quadcopter

trangertranger Posts: 179
edited 2014-06-25 15:02 in Robotics
A little background... I just recently moved into a new-to-us home. We are in the process of gathering up all the necessary tools to maintain the place, but all are not there yet.

Yesterday we get a line of thunderstorms moving through and I see that my gutters are overflowing. :frown: So, I go out in the pouring rain (and lightning - yeah, I know, lucky to be alive) to clear the obstruction with my 2-step stepladder. Well turns out there is more that one obstruction and I'm soaked to the skin. Also, I can't see into the gutters, the ladder is only tall enough to let me reach into them. If I can't see how am I going to clear these things in a reasonable period of time? After the rain clears it occurs to me that the perfect tool to use to inspect all the gutters is my Elev-8! Why not? It gives me an excuse to fly and serves a useful purpose.

I currently have a FlyCamOne mounted "conventionally" i.e. looking as a pilot would. This won't do for my inspection routine so I cobble up a temporary mount from a cardboard box (a red one - sorry) and head outdoors.

IMG_3996.JPG

It worked great and I had a lot of fun. There are power lines, phone lines and cable lines that kept me from doing a continuous sweep, but I got a good look at everything. I then went up on my 2-step and cleared all those pine needles that had been blocking the water flow.

So, for a grand or so you can have a cool gutter inspection system. :lol:

Vid here:

-Russ
800 x 600 - 141K

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-06-24 09:43
    Great Story!

Thanks for sharing.

(I have a few of those "red boxes" also. :)
    Jim
  • trangertranger Posts: 179
    edited 2014-06-25 04:21
    NWCCTV wrote: »

That thing is awesome. :smile: It is hard to imagine it working well under all conditions of gutter geometry and debris, but it looks promising in the clip.

-Russ
  • dmagnusdmagnus Posts: 271
    edited 2014-06-25 09:23
    I've got one. It works pretty well, even with my very heavy pine straw and leaves. Which reminds me. I have to put him to work one of these days, if it ever dries out. Very wet stuff is a lot heavier and the looj has more trouble moving it. I also have a length of gutter where the idiots that put the new roof on left the shingles hanging more than half way over the gutter. Practically impossible for even the looj to clean out. Got to get up there with some kind of shears and cut the shingles back - not a fun job.
    edited 2014-06-25 09:56
    dmagnus wrote: »
    I've got one. It works pretty well, even with my very heavy pine straw and leaves. Which reminds me. I have to put him to work one of these days, if it ever dries out. Very wet stuff is a lot heavier and the looj has more trouble moving it. I also have a length of gutter where the idiots that put the new roof on left the shingles hanging more than half way over the gutter. Practically impossible for even the looj to clean out. Got to get up there with some kind of shears and cut the shingles back - not a fun job.

Might as well clean the gutters while your up there trimming. :)

I just had Gutter Helmet install. Should never have to clean the gutters again. (Famous last words).
    edited 2014-06-25 10:59
    Absolutely will! I had them come out and give me an estimate. I have a small house. $7500 to install them. I think it was Gutter Helmet, might have been something similar. Roof isn't too high, slope is gentle, I can still walk around up there if I need to @70+ years old. Plus, I've got the Looj!
    edited 2014-06-25 12:45
    I see you are in Minnesota? I had the heater wires installed to prevent ice dams. It's not a bad up-charge when they install the guard.

Installed March so I will not see the benefit until next snow season. But with all this global warming, we should never see snow again. :)
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-06-25 13:26
    It's great to see an ELEV-8 being used for a practical purpose.

Someday, I'd like to install some sort of robotic claw and use an 'copter to pick apples from our "apple tower". It have very long vertical branches so they wouldn't be in the way of the 'copter while it was picking the apples. What could go wrong?

Thanks for posting the video Russ.
    edited 2014-06-25 15:02
    Publison wrote: »
    I see you are in Minnesota? I had the heater wires installed to prevent ice dams. It's not a bad up-charge when they install the guard.

Installed March so I will not see the benefit until next snow season. But with all this global warming, we should never see snow again. :)
    Actually Wisconsin. I put my own heater wires in where I need them, but I've also got 6' of rubber under the shingles to protect against ice dams. But, heck, you're right, we don't have to worry about winter anymore! Thanks, Global Warming!
    That must be why we are suffering from extensive flooding right now. It's so bad my the marina where I keep my "yacht" is flooded so I can't get to it except by dinghy. Oh, the humanity!