Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Arlo proj-Q — Parallax Forums

Arlo proj-Q

RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
edited 2015-05-05 08:09 in Robotics
Like I mentioned, in my other thread, I am considering an Arlo for an off the shelf robot project. First question, can a functioning Arlo robot be had for less than $500?

I will be using my Create for experimentation purposes, like can you get an RPi to fit into an autonomous robot configuration, and the use of other devise and sensors.

I was looking for some data as to what the clearance between the battery base plate and the ground is. In the one picture that I saw, it was not possible to determine the dimension, but I am guessing a 1/2"?

As to the new Arlo power board, will there be a way of getting power from the individual batteries, just in case you want one battery source for the drive system, and the other for the electronics?

It is stated that the wheels have a 20lb capacity rating, any ideas as to what will be left, as it pertains capacity, if you are using a two battery system, maybe the batteries being rated at 6 Ah each.

And, is there any data available for some realistic run time values for battery capacities, how long will the robot run before it needs to head for the re-charge station?

Ray

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-06-18 06:53
    Rsadeika wrote: »

As to the new Arlo power board, will there be a way of getting power from the individual batteries, just in case you want one battery source for the drive system, and the other for the electronics?

Ray

If your up to cutting a few traces, then yes.

ArloPDB-08.jpg
    ArloPDB-08_Intermediate.jpg
    ArloPDB-08_Final.jpg
    1000 x 772 - 325K
    1000 x 772 - 326K
    1000 x 772 - 325K
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2014-06-18 07:10
    If your up to cutting a few traces, then yes.
    Nope, no cutting of traces. So, I take it their will be no way of monitoring a single battery for its capacity status? In a robot that will be costing ~$500, you would think that you would be able to set it up so every individual hardware piece(batteries) and sensor(s) could be monitored for its status, or am I asking to much from a performance value perspective.

Ray
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2014-06-18 08:15
    Hi Ray-
    First question, can a functioning Arlo robot be had for less than $500?
    Close ;-)

(1) #28960 Arlo Base Kit = $39.00
    (1) #28963 MMWK2-MP (drive system) = $199.00
    (2) #28961 Caster Wheel Kit = $98.00
    (1) #32910 Propeller Activity Board = $50.00
    (2) #29144 HB-25 motor controllers = $98.00
    Total about = $484.00.

To this you'll add your own power source and charger (batteries) 12v 8.5 SLA's are the standard that we recommend - but you can use any thing you prefer. If you want to get really fancy, you can add our new Power Distribution board (which is available real soon now), or you can simply wire everything together yourself.
    It is stated that the wheels have a 20lb capacity rating, any ideas as to what will be left, as it pertains capacity, if you are using a two battery system, maybe the batteries being rated at 6 Ah each.

The @20lb rating is what the fully outfitted platform can carry...Basically, put the whole thing together (as noted above), add two 12 volt SLA batteries to the battery tray (which has a 1" clearance to the ground), and then to that fully assembled system you can add another 20lbs of "extra stuff".

During our rigorous testing phase, loaded 20 lbs of aluminum plate and drove it all over the parking lot and streets - that's how we determined it's capacity; If you need to carry more "stuff" upgrade to the aluminum Motor Mount and Wheel Kit :-)

-MattG
    edited 2014-06-18 08:26
    So, I take it their will be no way of monitoring a single battery for its capacity status? In a robot that will be costing ~$500, you would think that you would be able to set it up so every individual hardware piece(batteries) and sensor(s) could be monitored for its status, or am I asking to much from a performance value perspective.

You can do anything you want with the way in which you connect the battery cables to your robot. You can monitor them with whatever techniques you wish. In the standard configuration it really won't make much difference because both 12 batteries are connected in parallel anyway - It's like having two car batteries in parallel - you just get more amps for the entire system (although you can run the system on only one battery and that'll last quite a long time as well).

Arlo is really an "open development" robotics research platform. Do what you want with it. Have a divided two battery system, each with it's own monitoring system...As an example, have one battery run the motors and the other battery run the electronics, and create your own charge level sensing system, and then make your add-on available to other Arlo developers?!

-MattG
    edited 2014-06-18 08:28
    $484.00, but you did not include the Arlo power board, which I consider an essential piece of equipment. And since I have an Activity board I did not include that in my approximation, let alone the batteries. Since I have not priced any SLA batteries lately, I guess what, another $50? I just want too make sure that I am getting a good idea as to what the final cost for a functional programmable Arlo robot would cost. I just hate it when you get the box and find out you still need to add a whole bunch of cash, just so you can run the thing and not just stare at it as it sits on the floor.

Ray
    edited 2014-06-18 08:33
    SLA Batteries from Radio Shack, stocked locally:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11225092

$30 each.
    edited 2014-06-18 08:37
    Rsadeika wrote: »
    Nope, no cutting of traces. So, I take it their will be no way of monitoring a single battery for its capacity status? In a robot that will be costing ~$500, you would think that you would be able to set it up so every individual hardware piece(batteries) and sensor(s) could be monitored for its status, or am I asking to much from a performance value perspective.

Ray

Maybe Rev C, (I think they already did a Rev B) could include some jumpers to do that. I'm not sure what kind of jumper can handle 10 AMPS. I'm sure they are out there.
    edited 2014-06-18 08:48
    Hi Ray -

Yep, I understand what you're looking for.

The "Arlo" is a base platform for robotics developers. What we wanted to produce was a cost-effective, rock-solid mechanical machine that could serve as the basis for developers (such as yourself) to start with.

Does the Arlo platform have collision avoidance capability? No,.

Can it navigate via GPS? No...

Can it go on patrol to make sure the parking garage is secure? No...

Are there Arlo platforms out there right now doing any of those tasks? Yes! ...How? Because they were enhanced by independent developers.

Arlo is not an "out of the box, fully capable, robotics solution. Arlo is designed to enable developers to get a rock-solid, high capacity mobile platform to take it in the direction that you want it to go with the capabilities you want it (him!) to have. :thumb:

-MattG
    edited 2014-06-18 09:05
    What we wanted to produce was a cost-effective, rock-solid mechanical machine...
    But cutting traces? Actually I am pretty much sold on the product, but I want to minimize the build of additional specialized electronics boards, and specialty wiring harness and such. Although, I do not mind the wiring harness, that is required for even the smallest projects. The big problem always seems to be the additional control boards, I have an Activity board for testing purposes, but what the robot really needs is something with lots more horsepower. Since some of the essential items are out of stock I will be waiting for a while.

Ray
    edited 2014-06-18 09:33
    the Arlo power board, which I consider an essential piece of equipment.
    Thanks! I agree :thumb:

The ancestor of Arlo was "Eddie". Eddie had this for his "power distribution system".:blank:

IMG_1075.jpg

Technology marches on :thumb:..
    -MattG
    1024 x 768 - 91K
    edited 2014-06-18 09:59
    Since some of the essential items are out of stock I will be waiting for a while.

Which items specifically? Maybe I can "scare" some up...

I'm currently working on the documentation for the Power Board, and some of the components aren't yet in stock for that product - should be real soon now though :innocent:

-MattG
    edited 2014-06-18 10:12
    Plastic Motor Mount and Wheel Kit, this morning when I checked, it was still out of stock, I also included the Arlo power board as the other item.

Ray
    edited 2014-06-18 12:52
    Plastic Motor Mount and Wheel Kit, this morning when I checked
    Yep, you're right, but that's now in stock (apparently just after you checked):)

The Power Distribution Kit is getting closer...I'm in the middle of the documentation as we speak. I'll update this thread when it's available. It'll be part #28996.

-MattG
    edited 2014-06-19 04:29
    I have an older version of TurboCad, I am wondering if you have any drawings of the base deck, top deck, and any other pertinent items available, for public use, that could be used with that version of TurboCad? Since the Arlo is a "bare metal" kit, the drawings could come in handy for the planning stage of parts placement.

Ray
  • jtilghmanjtilghman Posts: 67
    edited 2015-04-27 14:42
    What gauge wires are being used for running power ?
    edited 2015-05-01 10:45
    Hi jtilghman -
    The short answer is 16 gauge, and that's what will be in the wiring kit that we're going to be including in the upcoming "Full Arlo Robot Kit" :)
    -MattG
  • jtilghmanjtilghman Posts: 67
    edited 2015-05-01 13:23
    Hi jtilghman -
    The short answer is 16 gauge, and that's what will be in the wiring kit that we're going to be including in the upcoming "Full Arlo Robot Kit" :)
    -MattG

Didn't see this till just now, I already have 18 gauge on the way.

-JohnT
    edited 2015-05-05 07:16
    I think you'll be fine with 18 gauge.
    -MattG
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2015-05-05 08:09
    I think you'll be fine with 18 gauge.

That is why they call him "belt and suspenders" Gilliland!