Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Li-ion Power Pack — Parallax Forums

Li-ion Power Pack

WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
edited 2014-06-17 21:28 in Robotics
Will the the Li-ion Power Pack work okay with the Activity Bot. I haven't done much looking yet, but I haven't found anything yet that says it will for sure either.

Anyone know for sure?

Power requirement for the Activity Bot is 7.5 VDC; as five 1.5 V AA batteries.

Output for the Li-ion Power Pack is Nominal 7.4 VDC; 8.2 VDC maximum - Should be okay, huh?

Comments

• Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2014-06-14 19:15
    It should work great!

(famous last words)
    Whit wrote: »
    Will the the Li-ion Power Pack work okay with the Activity Bot. I haven't done much looking yet, but I haven't found anything yet that says it will for sure either.

Anyone know for sure?

Power requirement for the Activity Bot is 7.5 VDC; as five 1.5 V AA batteries.

Output for the Li-ion Power Pack is Nominal 7.4 VDC; 8.2 VDC maximum - Should be okay, huh?
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-06-14 19:16
    I can't say for sure but I have a BOEBot chassis that has a PropBOE for a brain and carries an EMIC around that is powered by one of these. It seems to be very happy and the charge last a long time.

But I can't say with any technical backing....just anecdotal evidence! :smile:

Sound like a good Father's Day gift!
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-06-15 10:02
    I think the Li-Ion BOE-Bot Pack does the same thing as the larger Li-Ion pack. The smaller pack fits below the BOE-Bot frame while the larger pack is the same size as a BOE and fits above the frame. Like Rick, I have a PropBOE-Bot which uses the larger Li-Ion pack.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2014-06-15 14:39
    @Duane and all. - I guess the Li-Ion BOE-Bot Pack is really what I was thinking about. I just wondered since the pack replaced 4 AA cells and the Activity Bot uses 5 AA cells - and I haven't found anything that says that either can be used with the Activity Bot - I just didn't know for sure. I think I will call Parallax Tech support next week...

I will post my findings too!
    edited 2014-06-15 14:57
    The BOE-Bot can also use 5 AA cells by using the BOE-Boost (it added a single AA cell and was really hard to insert).

The activity board can take up to 9V for Vin so the Li-Ion pack's 8.4V (freshly charged) would be just right. I was about to say to make sure and set the servo power jumpers to 5V but apparently the high speed servos can handle 8V. I'm not sure if the servos can handle the Vin when using the Li-Ion pack or not (a good question to ask Parallax). If you use the servo set to 5V, I don't see how you'd have a problem using the Li-Ion pack with the ActivityBot.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-06-15 23:51
    Either Li-ion pack will work just fine. The input range you want is 6-9 VDC with 7.5 nominal. As a note the high-speed servos do run at 5V. Just sayin... :innocent:
    edited 2014-06-16 06:50
    Either Li-ion pack will work just fine. The input range you want is 6-9 VDC with 7.5 nominal. As a note the high-speed servos do run at 5V. Just sayin... :innocent:

Chris, Do you know if the high speed servos can be powered from Vin when using two Li-Ion cells? I'm guessing not.

I personally like running CR servos from a regulated source. The constant voltage makes the speed very consistent. I found it next to impossible to get a CR servo robot to perform a figure 8 without either encoders or a regulated voltage source.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-06-16 08:30
    HS servo page says 6-8V, so Chris when you say "they run at 5V" do you mean that they should NOT be powered directly from Vin?

I had assumed that these servos are the same as Parallax's standard analog servos with taller gearing, which would make the torque suffer. Is that the case?

Most other servos don't recommend 8V, as most servo specs quote 4.8V and 6V performance.
    edited 2014-06-16 08:45
    Duane,

The ActivityBot was tested with the Li-ion battery pack and found to work fine. I have not heard of any reason why it shouldn't work, however I will contact our education department this morning and see if anything has changed. I thought we were compiling a compatibility list at one time. I will follow up today.
    edited 2014-06-16 09:02
    AHA! We DO have a compatibility/comparison chart. Stephanie Lindsay just pointed me to it. You can find it here: http://www.parallax.com/downloads/parallax-small-robot-comparison-chart

It is a PDF file you can open/download.
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2014-06-16 09:23
    I'll add one slight caveat to this discussion...

We've tested our original servos ("normal speed" version) extensively. They run fine until about 8.2 - 8.3 vdc. At that voltage there is an internal capacitor that will fail at that level - some do and some will go even a little higher (8.4-8.5vdc). ("magic smoke" time)
    That's when you're connecting the servos directly to the battery voltage. However, if you're running the servos off of a regulator (ie vdd from a board), everything is fine. In fact, that's the proper input voltage (7.5-8vdc) for the Boe's anyway.

If you do get smoke to come out of the hi-speed servos, please let me know at what voltage that happens...it'll save me time in finding out for myself :tongue:

-MattG
    edited 2014-06-16 09:38
    According to the chart Chris linked to, the high speed servos should be okay when powered from two Li-Ions.

At the top of page 2 on under "ActivityBot Riobot Kit" and across from "Li-Ion Pack/Charger" it says:
    Yes, and you can power
    servos with VIN

I know from experience many servos can't handle that much voltage. Apparently the high speed servos are also high voltage servos.
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2014-06-16 09:44
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    According to the chart Chris linked to, the high speed servos should be okay when powered from two Li-Ions.

At the top of page 2 on under "ActivityBot Riobot Kit" and across from "Li-Ion Pack/Charger" it says:

I know from experience many servos can't handle that much voltage. Apparently the high speed servos are also high voltage servos.

The High Speed Continuous Rotation servos like 7.5 VDC, and are spec'd for 6-8 VDC. Trying to power the ActivityBot's high-speed servos at 5V while using the encoders and abdrive will make it unhappy.
    edited 2014-06-16 11:08
    The High Speed Continuous Rotation servos like 7.5 VDC, and are spec'd for 6-8 VDC. Trying to power the ActivityBot's high-speed servos at 5V while using the encoders and abdrive will make it unhappy.

Does the 5V regulator not provide enough current for the high-speed servos and other 5V devices or do the servos not work well with only 5V?

Freshly charged Li-Ions are often a bit over 4.2V. Will the 8.4V (possibly more) be a problem for the high speed servos?

I don't have an ActivityBot but I have a set of high speed servos (and AB wheels) I've been meaning to add to my PropBOE-Bot. I've been powering the servos on my PropBOE-Bot with 5V but it sounds like I should be able to power the high speed servos with the Li-Ion Pack's Vin?
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2014-06-16 11:31
    I believe Steph is referring to the abdrive and encoder functionality. When I was running an Activitybot with the BOE li-ion power, when the battery level got too 6.3V, the encoders and abdrive started to flake out. If you will not be using the abdrive and encoder functionality it should be alright, although I have never run it that way.

Ray
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2014-06-17 18:35
    @Chris, Matt and Steph,

Thanks for the answers! Looks like I need to start saving up.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-06-17 21:28
    Whit wrote: »
    Looks like I need to start saving up.

Don't fret none, Br'er Whit+. The Lord (or Matt & Ken) will provide all you needeth!