Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to Load QuadOpen Firmware to HoverFly Open — Parallax Forums

How to Load QuadOpen Firmware to HoverFly Open

trangertranger Posts: 179
edited 2014-06-11 09:46 in Robotics
I would like to load Jason Dorie's QuadOpen firmware on my Elev-8 with a HoverFly Open board. However, I come from the other side of the controller world (Atmel) and have never dabbled in the Propeller stuff. So the IDE and basic operation is foreign and a little confusing.

I've downloaded the PropTool and I have the firmware and groundstation files and have been able to do a few things in the IDE, like:

1. flag Main - HoverflyOpen.spin as the "Top" file.
2. compile all the files.
3. use Identify Hardware to connect to the Prop.

How do you load all the files? I see Load RAM and Load EEPROM options. Which option? For all files? Any particular order?

Also, while browsing the code I see some things that are concerning and am not sure if they will be a problem or not.

1. Basic_I2C_Driver. Says no pull-up on SCL and SDA, but for the "boot EEPROM" a 4k7 is needed on SDA.
2. ITG-3200-Open-pasm. Says an ADXL-345 is connected and assumes Gyro and Accel are on a Sparkfun board.
3. RC_Receiver-Open. Mentions pull-ups.

Can I assume the code is compatible with the OPEN board hardware?
What about the accelerometer stuff in item 2?

Jason - thank you for making this code available and truly OPEN. (I don't think HoverFly knows what that really means :smile:)

Any help getting this loaded would be appreciated.

-Russ

Comments

• trangertranger Posts: 179
    edited 2014-06-11 08:35
    I moved this from a PM to a forum post at Duane Degn's suggestion:
    Russ,

IMO, it would be better to ask these questions in the forum and send Jason a PM with a link to your questions.

I doubt you'll be the only person with these sorts of questions so by asking them in the forum others will be able to benefit from the exchange.

I don't have a HoverFly Open (mine is a Sport) but I'm pretty sure it will have a pull-up on the SDA line. When an I2C driver says a pull-up isn't needed, a pull-up won't hurt if it's there. Generally at least the SDA needs a pull-up in order to read information back from the I2C device.

You'll want to load the program to EEPROM (F11).

It would be a lot better if I were answering in the forum since I could see any replies Jason may have made. Also in the forum if I say something wrong, others can correct me.

If you post this to the forum you're welcome to quote any or all of this reply.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-06-11 08:48
    I was just looking at the schematic to the Open board and I see the gyro doesn't share the I2C bus with the EEPROM. The gyro I2C bus has pull-up resistors on both lines. I don't think you need to worry about the pull-ups. I think they're all taken care of on the board.

It's been a while since I've used Jason's code so I don't remember how the accelerometer is connected. IIRC, there's at least one version of the code that doesn't use the accelerometer.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-06-11 08:51
    Russ,

Do you have a link to Hoverflyopen.spin. ?

Jim
    edited 2014-06-11 09:02
    Publison wrote: »
    Russ,

Do you have a link to Hoverflyopen.spin. ?

Jim

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/148190-QuadX-source-code-for-Hoverfly-Open-Elev-8

-Russ
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-06-11 09:20
    tranger wrote: »

That's Quadopen.zip. I already have that.

I thought Hoverfly opened their firmware. :(
    edited 2014-06-11 09:46
    Publison wrote: »
    That's Quadopen.zip. I already have that.

I thought Hoverfly opened their firmware. :(

Sorry.... Thought you were referring to a file in the zip called "Main - HoverflyOpen.spin"

I doubt that HoverFly will ever release that code. I think OPEN means you are free to write your own stuff to run on the hardware.

-Russ