Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Solidworks Files Needed — Parallax Forums

Solidworks Files Needed

bwilliamsbwilliams Posts: 14
edited 2014-07-12 18:05 in Robotics
Hi,

While data sheets are of vital importance to parts, what also should be given high priority is the creation (or general availability) of CAD drawings that match the components. Without these files, it makes it very painful to try and implement Parallax components into projects that are being engineered within production tolerances. Even while developing advanced prototypes, we still need some degree of accuracy in order to work towards production tolerance, simple things like screw holes and dimensions converting from imperial to metric are just a nightmare to work with.

I do realise that your components are catering for the developer and prototype audiences rather than production, but why limit the use of the products when components such as the castors, motor mounts etc are high quality engineered components? I would assume that in order to manufacture these components, you must have some form of CAD file internally?

People that want to start prototyping with 3D printers will also find this hugely beneficial if they are working on complex part integrations.

Please don't tell me to have to find and then contact all the product owners and ask them directly - surely this is something that does nothing but benefit Parallax and in real terms raises the professionalism another notch.

Thanks for listening.

Best,

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-06-02 11:59
    bwilliams wrote: »
    Hi,

While data sheets are of vital importance to parts, what also should be given high priority is the creation (or general availability) of CAD drawings that match the components. Without these files, it makes it very painful to try and implement Parallax components into projects that are being engineered within production tolerances. Even while developing advanced prototypes, we still need some degree of accuracy in order to work towards production tolerance, simple things like screw holes and dimensions converting from imperial to metric are just a nightmare to work with.

I do realise that your components are catering for the developer and prototype audiences rather than production, but why limit the use of the products when components such as the castors, motor mounts etc are high quality engineered components? I would assume that in order to manufacture these components, you must have some form of CAD file internally?

People that want to start prototyping with 3D printers will also find this hugely beneficial if they are working on complex part integrations.

Please don't tell me to have to find and then contact all the product owners and ask them directly - surely this is something that does nothing but benefit Parallax and in real terms raises the professionalism another notch.

Thanks for listening.

Best,

Have you called Parallax direct?

I'm sure they will release what they can.

Don't be shy, they are a bunch of great guys and gals.
    edited 2014-06-02 12:03
    They have release CAD files in the past. You need to specify The product.
  • bwilliamsbwilliams Posts: 14
    edited 2014-06-02 12:04
    Hi there,

Yes I have called them, and yes I agree they are a great team there, and I have had some awesome help in the past from a number of staff.

I think the scenario here is that if enough people indicate it would help them, which should translate to a bigger uptake of the components, then that is the business case for creating and maintaining the CAD files.

Put it this way, as I need the details and the accuracy, I will buy components from the company that is working to make my job just that little bit easier and faster. I want that company to be Parallax because of the service and because of the quality of the components.

Cheers
    edited 2014-06-02 12:05
    Publison wrote: »
    They have release CAD files in the past. You need to specify The product.

My point is that this should be standard across the range.
    edited 2014-06-02 12:08
    Hi there,

Yes I have called them, and yes I agree they are a great team there, and I have had some awesome help in the past from a number of staff.

I think the scenario here is that if enough people indicate it would help them, which should translate to a bigger uptake of the components, then that is the business case for creating and maintaining the CAD files.

Put it this way, as I need the details and the accuracy, I will buy components from the company that is working to make my job just that little bit easier and faster. I want that company to be Parallax because of the service and because of the quality of the components.

Cheers

Very good points. If it can generate more sales, it might be worth the effort to publish the CAD files.
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2014-06-02 13:24
    Hi bwilliams - Welcome to the Forums :thumb:

We'd be happy to get you the files that you're looking for quickly - just let us know which ones you need right now. At some point we'd like to have everything available on the Site as well- it's just a matter of time, resources, and priorities...

So which files would you like right away?

-MattG
    edited 2014-06-02 16:40
    Hi Matt,

It's Brennon in the UK here - you so very kindly helped me with the motor mounts a few months back.

With respect to the components:
    Motor Mount: #28962
    Motor Controller: #29144
    Castor Wheels: #28961
    PING: #
    IR: #
    LRF: #
    Tilt: #
    Memsic: #28017
    Gyro: #27911
    Activity: #32910

I guess that is the shopping list at present. Thanks for the response Matt and I appreciate any help you can provide on this.

Best,

Brennon

edited 2014-06-04 11:35
    Hi Brennon-

So we have files for the mechanical stuff like these items:
    Motor Mount:
    Castor Wheels:

...and the mounting bracket for this:
    Motor Controller: #
    (see 725-29144)

The rest of these aren't modeled ... (that I know of)
    PING: #
    IR: #
    LRF: #
    Tilt: #
    Memsic: #28017
    Gyro: #27911
    Activity:

The only thing we might have for these would be a .dxf of the PCB, but it would most likely only be for the bare board itself, not a populated unit.
    -MattG

• GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,748
    edited 2014-06-04 19:04
    Matt,

I don't know what PCB design software Parallax uses but there are Gerber to CAD converters but unfortunately they are not free.
    I've seen 3D models of PCBs but I don't know if they were software generated or someone had to draw them from scratch.
    SolidWorks has a tool called CircuitWorks but I never used it so I don't know exactly what it does.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-06-04 21:53
    ...and the mounting bracket for this:
    Motor Controller: #
    (see 725-29144)

I could use this one.
    edited 2014-06-05 07:29
    Email me at mattg@parallax.com for a .dxf of the HB25 mounting bracket.

Also, we should be able to post the solids of the MMWK and Casters on the product pages soon, but if you would like them now, email me and we'll send them pronto.

-MattG
    edited 2014-06-05 07:35
    Matt, Your'e in early. :) Glad to see you posting again.

Got to think of a new contest. :)

Jim
    edited 2014-06-10 04:21
    Hi Matt,

Thanks for the details. I guess all I can do is model them as close to the dimensions as possible and work from there.

I hope that at some time in the future it becomes a priority - buying and working with you guys is pretty great and I want to ensure that this can continue.

Best,

Brennon
    edited 2014-06-10 04:24
    Trying to set this as solved to keep the forums clean, but don't see an option for that. Help anyone?

Cheers
    edited 2014-06-10 06:28
    Trying to set this as solved to keep the forums clean, but don't see an option for that. Help anyone?

Cheers

Brennon,

Go to your first post and edit it in "Advance Mode".

There will be a drop down menu with "Solved" being one off the choices..
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-07-12 18:05
    I've posted the Caster Wheel SolidWorks files here http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/156437-***-URGENT-***-Need-Mechanical-Drawings-and-Dimensions-for-the-Parallax-Caster-Wheel?p=1278457&posted=1#post1278457 but the product page will shortly include the same version and should be the source of these files in the future.

They're all open source so use them as you wish.

Ken Gracey