Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
4D systems uOLED and BS2e — Parallax Forums

4D systems uOLED and BS2e

solder_fumessolder_fumes Posts: 18
edited 2014-05-19 14:48 in BASIC Stamp
In a nutshell, has anyone had success with making this combination work? I'm sending serial commands at 9600 baud from a BS2e to a uOLED-128-G2.

I can make it work, but after 10 or so minutes of operation, the display just freezes.

The 4D forum seems to offer little help or have little experience with the BS2.

I suppose at this point I'm just looking for someone to say "Yes, it works fine" (some sample code would be helpful). If nobody has had much luck with it, it may be time for me to look at a different display.

Thanks,

John

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-05-19 13:15
    John,

You say after about 10 minutes the display freezes. Not sure what that means, but if you press the reset button on your control board, does it start working again? If so it could be a software error somewhere, but if not it could mean something is wrong in the hardware. Perhaps current draw causing a regulator to overheat or something. I would try to find out if a reset fixes everything for another 10 minutes. If so I think it's safe to say there a software problem.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2014-05-19 13:22
    When writing code for the Propeller, I noticed that if you don't properly handle the ACKnowledge BYTE followed by the data BYTE or WORD, that the display would sometimes hang or get lost. This was mostly true with heavy graphics.
  • tomcrawfordtomcrawford Posts: 1,126
    edited 2014-05-19 14:14
    I've had a one-off example of a BS2e driving a 4D 128 x 128 oLED since 2011 with no hangs. I use text, circles (filled and not), lines, clear screen. I found out right off that I couldn't turn the BS2e around fast enough to always read the ACK/NACK. So I decided to just ignore it (since I knew I sending perfectly formed commands 100% of the time, Ha, Ha). Seems as though I may have had to stick in a little idle time following some of the commands; figured I was sending a new command before it finished the old one.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2014-05-19 14:48
    "Seems as though I may have had to stick in a little idle time following some of the commands; figured I was sending a new command before it finished the old one. " - I think that is part of the key right there... if you can't monitor the ACK (although there is useful information returned after some of the commands ... after the ACK) ... anyway, if you try to send a new command before the Display is finished sending it's response, you might confuse the display with an unrecognized command. So pausing after each command might be a solution for the BS2