Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What are the changes required for this circuit? — Parallax Forums

What are the changes required for this circuit?

edited 2014-05-16 23:13 in Robotics
Hi!

I am new to this forum. I have recently seen a post: Water Level Indicator. The concept is very interesting and the circuit seems to be very easy to implement.

But I would like to make few modifications to this circuit.

1) I would like to modify this circuit in such a way that it not only indicate the level of the water but it should also control the water level. In other words, what are the modifications to be done to this circuit to convert it into water level controller circuit?

2) Here microcontroller is used in this circuit. Is it not possible to replace the microcontroller with any other device to get the required results?

3) Is it possible to use this circuit even in real life also for our home?

Kindly answer for all my queries. I would like to implement it.

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2014-05-16 05:55
    You would be better of using an eTape sensor such as the one Parallax sells ... http://www.parallax.com/product/29131

The circuit that you provided has long term failure due to corrosion on the leads.

As far as changing the circuit, in both cases you would also need to change the code. In a similar way that you would control a relay, you would control a water valve to allow more water in when the level got too low.
  • LombardLombard Posts: 30
    edited 2014-05-16 14:39
    1. To control the water level, you have to switch some kind of a pump on and off. This can be done easily with a relay.

2. If you want to do this without a microcontroller, you would be designing a state machine. You'll have 9 inputs, and based on those 9 inputs, you could have a variety of outputs. Driving the 7-segment display with a state machine would get extremely hairy, and I wouldn't even attempt that. Controlling the water level would be simple, though.

3. I agree with Beau that hanging wires in water will lead to corrosion rather quickly, so something would have to be done about that to put it into long-term practice. But if you have the need for something like this, then yes! Automating things at home is a pretty rewarding thing to do.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-05-16 15:52
    Hi!

I am new to this forum. I have recently seen a post: Water Level Indicator. The concept is very interesting and the circuit seems to be very easy to implement.

1) I would like to modify this circuit in such a way that it not only indicate the level of the water but it should also control the water level. In other words, what are the modifications to be done to this circuit to convert it into water level controller circuit?

2) Here microcontroller is used in this circuit. Is it not possible to replace the microcontroller with any other device to get the required results?

sudheerelktronics,

What is the container you want to monitor like? How tall? What is it made out of? What sort of lid does it have?

Where is the water you want to add to the tank come from? Do you want to open and close a valve or do you want to control a pump?

Of course one doesn't need a microcontroller to control water level, your toilet does this pretty well with just mechanical parts. However, using a microcontroller usually makes tasks like this easier.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2014-05-16 23:13
    This project does not really require a microcontroller to indicate the water level and turn on a pump or open a valve when it gets below a certain point.

You could have an 8 level sensor by using a cmos buffer ic like the 74hc541 or 74hc244 in place of the transistors. The outputs could drive a column of 8 high efficiency leds through a 1K resistor to indicate water level, and a transistor could be connected to one of the level outputs to turn on a relay that starts the pump.

The use of stainless steel wire would eliminate the problem of corrosion, but even copper wire would last a long time. Best to place the wires inside a plastic pipe for protection.

Not as smart and flexible as using a microcontroller, but very simple to build, and no programming involved.
    Hi!