Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
basic concepts in wireless transmission of data — Parallax Forums

basic concepts in wireless transmission of data

NewHereNewHere Posts: 1
edited 2014-07-02 11:28 in Accessories
I am using XBee for my project.
It uses a 3 axes accelerometer whose outputs are to be given to the Xbee through microcontroller.
At receiver end the data received is fed to the pc through the microcontroller.

Apart from the accelerometer input needs to be given to the microcontroller from a set of switches.

The status of the switches along with the voltages from the accelerometer need to be sent to the receiver end.
  • I want to know how exactly i can achieve this using microcontroller and XBee-the connections, the code, security bits (if any) coz the information is not confidential,
  • how exactly the packets will be distinguished from one another(if at all it is necessary to know),
  • is there any additional ic required between microcontroller and the XBee such as a level shifter,
  • why do we have to bother about baud rate.
Please answer any of the questions if not all.
thank you.

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-05-14 08:00
    NewHere wrote: »
    I want to know how exactly i can achieve this using microcontroller and XBee-the connections, the code, security bits (if any) coz the information is not confidential,

You'll need to program the microcontroller to interface with the sensors and XBee. It's unlikely you'll be provided with an "exact" answer on how to do this but there are lots of examples on how to use various microcontrollers with XBees. Where you should look for an example will depend on what sort of microcontroller you are using. What kind of microcontroller are you using?
    how exactly the packets will be distinguished from one another(if at all it is necessary to know),

You'll need to decide how you'll send the data. The receiving microcontroller will need to know how the data is being sent so it can parse the information from the transmission appropriately.
    is there any additional ic required between microcontroller and the XBee such as a level shifter,

This will depend on what sort of microcontroller you're using. If you provide links to the sensors you'll be using, people will be able to provide additional information on how to interface with it.
    why do we have to bother about baud rate.

There is often a reason to choose one baud over another. The choice of baud will be influenced by how much data you want to send and by which microcontroller you use. Often the default baud is fine (I don't recall the default rate).

Welcome to the forum. If you provide additional information about what microcontroller and what sensors and switches you're using, people will be able to give you more precise information. It usually a good idea to add a link to the items you'll be using.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-05-14 10:08
    I would suggest downloading the "Getting Started With Xbee" book. It's free!

http://www.parallax.com/product/122-32450

Lots of projects in there that may relate to your project.

Welcome to the forums!