Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mounting the unmountable — Parallax Forums

Mounting the unmountable

xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
edited 2014-05-26 16:41 in Robotics
How do you mount stuff like an XBee or EMIC that has no mounting holes when there is no breadboard to hold it?

The only thing I can think of is using female headers soldered to perf board and drill holes in the perf board for stand off screws.

I'd rather not use double or single sided tape. Thanks.

Comments

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2014-05-13 13:22
    I use hot glue.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-05-13 13:27
    I sometimes add a layer of Polymorph to the bottom of a PCB I want to mount. The Polymorph makes a nice smooth, insulated, surface to which I attach the 3M "Command" fake Velcro stuff. The fake Velcro makes the part easy to remove. I don't know if you'll consider this a non-tape solution or not, but for myself, I like this method better than using tape.

Another alternative is to use Polymorph to add mounting holes.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2014-05-13 17:29
    I have been using hot glue as well. If I let it cool a bit it's enough to hold without ripping any traces off when removed.

I will order some polymorph, I would like something a little more permanent to test out. I'm sure it will come in handy for other stuff as well.

I was thinking about framing them in ePVC. Cut a grove in the ePVC that the boards edge could slide into, but some of the boards have components close to the edge so it would seem with those boards there are very few options.

The only other thing I can think of is a zip tie through holes, but that wouldn't be good for something like a gyro or accelerometer. Right now I haven't mounted either of those because I don't have this mounting issue sorted. I see a lot of projects where people solder the pins to proto and perf board. Even with three different solder removal tools I still do not fell comfortable soldering stuff down at this point.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2014-05-13 18:41
    I'll second hot glue as it is quick and easy. It's a bit unpredictable how long it will last, but it is easy to reapply if it does come lose.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2014-05-14 06:47
    Hot glue removes amazingly easily with alcohol.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2014-05-14 10:50
    You were right the first time. Use two plastic tie-wraps and drill a couple of holes to thread the wraps through -- holes you would have drilled anyway had the boards included mounting holes. It's more stable than you think.

I wouldn't use hot glue unless it's the low temp stuff (225 degrees F versus about 350+), and for that expect it to come off eventually.
    edited 2014-05-14 16:29
    A real man can fix anything with just two tools. If it moves when it shouldn't, use duct tape. If it doesn't move when it should, use WD-40.
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2014-05-14 18:59
    xanadu

Your question is pretty vague, especially since you do not mention the type of mounting surface or the desired mounting orientation.

However, for the sake of discussion, let's assume the mounting surface is a piece of plywood and the mounting orientation is perpendicular to the plywood. If I wanted a sturdy mount that would allow quick removal, first I would wire my device with connectors like these (http://www.pololu.com/category/70/crimp-connector-housings). Then I would sandwich one connector between two pieces of aluminum with each piece of aluminum having two mounting holes and screw the aluminum pieces to the plywood, thus binding the connector between the aluminum pieces and securing the circuit board to the plywood.
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,129
    edited 2014-05-16 06:01
    erco wrote: »
    A real man can fix anything with just two tools. If it moves when it shouldn't, use duct tape. If it doesn't move when it should, use WD-40.

Should be on the wall over every workbench...

flowchart-500x372.jpg

@
    500 x 372 - 23K
    edited 2014-05-18 12:24
    idbruce wrote: »
    xanadu

Your question is pretty vague, especially since you do not mention the type of mounting surface or the desired mounting orientation.

However, for the sake of discussion, let's assume the mounting surface is a piece of plywood and the mounting orientation is perpendicular to the plywood. If I wanted a sturdy mount that would allow quick removal, first I would wire my device with connectors like these (http://www.pololu.com/category/70/crimp-connector-housings). Then I would sandwich one connector between two pieces of aluminum with each piece of aluminum having two mounting holes and screw the aluminum pieces to the plywood, thus binding the connector between the aluminum pieces and securing the circuit board to the plywood.

I mentioned mounting holes and stand offs, I guess specifically I'd like to mount them to anything I can drill a hole in.

I have and use all of those connectors you linked. I pull them out of computers and servers on their way to recycle. Can't go wrong to get the plastic for free! I just got some multi-color ribbon cable because the all gray was a pain. I also ordered a crimp tool for the connectors, I've been using a small needle nose for years on end so it should be a nice treat!

I like the idea of using the connector to secure the device for some devices that is what I will do. For others like a 3 axis accelerometer I'm just not sold on any method other than finding a sensor with mounting holes on the board.

I sure wish all parts were sold with mounting holes, even one hole in an odd spot beats no holes at all.
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2014-05-18 12:31
    xanadu

I am glad you liked the idea, however keep in mind that I mentioned aluminum, a conductor which will cause shorts if allowed to touch the board, so you may also want to use tape. Another option would be some stout plastic.
    I sure wish all parts were sold with mounting holes, even one hole in an odd spot beats no holes at all.

I hear ya there!!! Agreed.
  • trookstrooks Posts: 228
    edited 2014-05-18 13:25
    Way back in the dark ages when discrete components were much larger there was this stuff called RTV which you could get at auto parts stores.

On clean surfaces it only takes a dab and it holds firmly but can be removed with a steady hand and an exacto knife.

It worked really well when you needed to have something that would keep heavy components with long leads from vibrating or moving around.

It was handy for adding revisions to PCBs in the field back when PCBs could be larger than most laptops today. When you needed to add a long wire to a board you would just dab a bit of RTV at a few places so the wire did not stick out and catch on other boards in a rack.
    edited 2014-05-18 15:13
    Trooks, I have some RTV, good stuff for mounting and filling. I'm going to test out the Polymorph Duane mentioned it sounds close to the same, plastic vs silicone maybe, not sure.

Bruce, everything I have custom built has been a huge short potential. Metal can be annoying if the wiring and mounting isn't up to par it's lights out. I've been using aluminum chassis with ePVC on the interior lately it seems to be a good combo and less shorting potential.
  • dmagnusdmagnus Posts: 271
    edited 2014-05-19 06:38
    Well, if you're going to get into stuff in a tube, look at 3M 4200 and 5200. Both are "Adhesive Sealants". 4200 is formulated for later removal, 5200 is permanent and very strong. It can be removed, with difficulty or a chemical they provide. Both are "Marine", which means that they are just as effective under water as out. Of course, Marine means $, but the stuff really works. They also will stick just about anything to anything. Just used a tube of each this weekend on my boat.
    edited 2014-05-20 19:55
    5200 is good stuff. I used some a couple weekends ago on a friends boat installing broadband sonar on the same day as we took it out. Our guide on the fishing trip said it wouldn't be a problem, even below the waterline. Checked later and sure enough three hours cure time was more than enough. Gen 2 Lowrance HDS 12 touch and the structure scan was really amazing, GPS was dead out of the box though lol...
  • AGCBAGCB Posts: 327
    edited 2014-05-26 15:37
    Shoe goo or its various names has been my adhesive of choice lately. if you just use a little and don't press together too much, it cuts apart easily. Sticks to almost anything
    edited 2014-05-26 16:29
    Is it just me, or are others waiting for someone to inject some "guy humor" into this thread? Thankfully we Forumistas are gentlemen and too well-behaved to let a provocative title get the best of us. Well done, lads.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2014-05-26 16:41
    Nope, just you. But if you like, here is what someone innocently said in another forum after seeing a photo of a very heavy tow-behind gasoline powered vibratory compaction roller;
    From what I understand, once you fire up the vibrator, you've got about 5 seconds to get rolling or you'll bury it too deep to pull out.