Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Meccano Model Control — Parallax Forums

Meccano Model Control

electricity_billelectricity_bill Posts: 1
edited 2014-05-13 07:43 in BASIC Stamp
Hello
I have been directed here from a website in the UK concerning Meccano which I think was known as Erector in the USA. I want to control a model with 4no 12V motors in terms of direction and speed from my PC but I am new to this field. I believe that the Basic Stamp can do this but I am starting from scratch. Could somebody please tell me what I need ?
Thanks
Bill

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2014-05-13 07:43
    Hi Bill,

Welcome to the Forums!

I still use my Meccano for prototyping after all these years.

The Stamp lineup is ideal for many types of control projects.

As with anything, there are some limitations or accomodations to be made depending on the model you choose.

Give us a bit more information about the project and I think you'll find lots of help.

In general terms, you'll have the Stamp talking to the PC over a serial data link to obtain the desired speed and direction for the motors. Then, the Stamp will carry out those commands.
    The key elements will be the current required for the motors which will necessitate a transistor or similar interface, the response expected from the system and your learning curve with the Stamp programming and whatever language you'll use to create the PC interface.

Cheers,